Words ending with is
2 letter words ending with is
3 letter words ending with is
4 letter words ending with is
- acis — a Sicilian shepherd and the lover of the nymph Galatea. In jealousy, Polyphemus crushed him with a huge rock, and his blood was turned by Galatea into a river
- afis — Automated Fingerprint Identification System: a computer system that scans fingerprints from crime scenes and compares them with millions of others around the world
- amis — Sir Kingsley. 1922–95, British novelist and poet, noted for his novels Lucky Jim (1954), Jake's Thing (1978), Stanley and the Women (1984), The Old Devils (1986), and The Folks that Live on the Hill (1990)
- anis — a French or Spanish liqueur flavored with aniseed
- apis — (in ancient Egypt) a sacred bull worshipped at Memphis
5 letter words ending with is
- abris — a shelter, especially a dugout.
- actis — a son of Rhoda and Helius who, when banished from his home for fratricide, fled to Egypt, where he taught astrology. The Colossus of Rhodes was built in his honor.
- aegis — sponsorship or protection; auspices (esp in the phrase under the aegis of)
- aphis — any of various aphids constituting the genus Aphis, such as the blackfly
- apsis — either of two points lying at the extremities of an eccentric orbit of a planet, satellite, etc, such as the aphelion and perihelion of a planet or the apogee and perigee of the moon. The line of apsides connects two such points and is the principal axis of the orbit
6 letter words ending with is
- a-axis — the horizontal crystallographic axis passing from front to back.
- abatis — a rampart of felled trees bound together placed with their branches outwards
- adonis — a handsome youth loved by Aphrodite. Killed by a wild boar, he was believed to spend part of the year in the underworld and part on earth, symbolizing the vegetative cycle
- aeolis — the ancient name for the coastal region of NW Asia Minor, including the island of Lesbos, settled by the Aeolian Greeks (about 1000 bc)
- alexis — a masculine and feminine name
7 letter words ending with is
8 letter words ending with is
- acidosis — a condition characterized by an abnormal increase in the acidity of the blood and extracellular fluids
- adenitis — inflammation of a gland or lymph node
- adenosis — a minor glandular condition typified by swelling of the lymph glands
- adiposis — obesity or excessive fatness
- agenesis — (of an animal or plant) imperfect development
9 letter words ending with is
- acariasis — infestation of the hair follicles and skin with acarids, esp mites
- acathexis — (pathology) The loss of the ability to respond emotionally.
- acropolis — the citadel of an ancient Greek city
- aepyornis — any of the large extinct flightless birds of the genus Aepyornis, remains of which have been found in Madagascar
- aesthesis — sensation; feeling.
10 letter words ending with is
- acanthosis — (medicine) A benign abnormal thickening of the stratum spinosum, or prickle cell, layer of the epidermis.(First attested in the late 19th century.).
- acidolysis — decomposition resulting from the interaction of a compound and an acid.
- aerobiosis — life in the presence of oxygen
- alveolitis — an inflammation of the alveoli, occurring either in the lungs or in the socket of a tooth
- amanuensis — a person employed to take dictation or to copy manuscripts
11 letter words ending with is
- abiogenesis — the hypothetical process by which living organisms first arose on earth from nonliving matter
- adenoiditis — inflammation of the adenoid tissue.
- adenomyosis — (medicine) A medical condition characterized by the presence of ectopic glandular tissue in the surrounding muscles, particularly of the endometrial tissue of the uterus in the myometrium, sometimes considered as a form of endometriosis.
- adrenalitis — (pathology) Inflammation of one or both adrenal glands, leading to an insufficiency of cortisol and/or aldosterone.
- alcoholysis — chemical decomposition resulting from the interaction of a compound and an alcohol.
12 letter words ending with is
- acrocyanosis — cyanosis of the hands and feet due to poor circulation of the blood
- adiaphoresis — absence or reduction of perspiration.
- adrianopolis — Edirne
- aeroneurosis — a functional disorder of aeroplane pilots characterized by anxiety and various psychosomatic disturbances, caused by insufficient oxygen at high altitudes and the emotional tension of flying
- agamogenesis — asexual reproduction, such as fission or parthenogenesis
13 letter words ending with is
- acne-vulgaris — an inflammatory disease of the sebaceous glands, characterized by comedones and pimples, especially on the face, back, and chest, and, in severe cases, by cysts and nodules resulting in scarring.
- actinomycosis — a fungal disease of cattle and of cats and dogs, sometimes transmitted to humans esp by bites, characterized by a swelling of the affected part, most often the jaw or lungs
- aerosinusitis — inflammation of the nasal sinuses caused by the effect on the sinuses of changes in atmospheric pressure.
- aganglionosis — (medicine) A medical condition involving absence of ganglia.
- amniocentesis — If a pregnant woman has an amniocentesis, fluid is removed from her womb in order to check that her unborn baby is not affected by certain genetic disorders.
14 letter words ending with is
- acanthocytosis — a condition characterized by large numbers of acanthocytes in the blood.
- amphiarthrosis — a type of articulation permitting only slight movement, as between the vertebrae of the backbone
- anticyclolysis — the weakening or extinction of an anticyclone.
- arthrocentesis — The clinical procedure of using a syringe to collect synovial fluid from a joint capsule, used in the diagnosis of gout, arthritis, and synovial infections.
- arthrogryposis — (countable, pathology) The permanent fixation of a joint in a contracted position.
15 letter words ending with is
- adenohypophysis — the anterior lobe of the pituitary gland
- agranulocytosis — a serious and sometimes fatal illness characterized by a marked reduction of leucocytes, usually caused by hypersensitivity to certain drugs
- alexandroupolis — a port in NE Greece, in W Thrace. Pop: 52 720 (2001 est)
- ancylostomiasis — infestation of the human intestine with blood-sucking hookworms, causing progressive anaemia
- ankylostomiasis — ancylostomiasis
16 letter words ending with is
- abdominocentesis — (surgery) Extraction of peritoneal fluid from the abdomen for evaluation, using a trocar.
- actinobacillosis — a disease of cattle and sheep, caused by infection with an Actinobacillus lignieresii and characterized by soft tissue lesions, esp of the tongue
- actinodermatitis — dermatitis from exposure to radiation, esp ultraviolet light or X-rays
- adiadochokinesis — the inability to perform rapidly alternating muscular movements, as flexion and extension.
- anticyclogenesis — the intensification or development of an anticyclone.
17 letter words ending with is
- anthracosilicosis — a form of pneumoconiosis occurring in miners, caused by the inhalation of coal and siliceous particles.
- anthropomorphosis — transformation into human form
- bioelectrogenesis — the production of electricity by organisms.
- cryptosporidiosis — a disease caused by protozoan parasites of the genus Cryptosporidium, characterized by fever and gastrointestinal symptoms and typically spread via contaminated drinking water.
- hyper-peristalsis — the progressive wave of contraction and relaxation of a tubular muscular system, especially the alimentary canal, by which the contents are forced through the system.
18 letter words ending with is
- bronchocandidiasis — See under candidiasis.
- coccidioidomycosis — a disease of the skin or viscera, esp the lungs, caused by infection with the fungus Coccidioides immitis
- counter-hypothesis — a proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurrence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation (working hypothesis) or accepted as highly probable in the light of established facts.
- glomerulonephritis — a kidney disease affecting the capillaries of the glomeruli, characterized by albuminuria, edema, and hypertension.
- avian pneumoencephalitis — Newcastle disease.
19 letter words ending with is
- cholecystolithiasis — The presence of a gallstone specifically in the gall bladder.
- choledocholithiasis — The presence of gallstones in the common bile duct.
- chromoblastomycosis — Long-term fungal infection of the skin and subcutaneous tissue.
- gastroenterocolitis — (medicine) inflammation of the stomach, small intestines, and colon.
20 letter words ending with is
- keratoconjunctivitis — inflammation of the cornea and conjunctiva.
21 letter words ending with is
24 letter words ending with is
- laryngotracheobronchitis — A respiratory disease, a form of croup.
On this page, we collect all words that ending in IS. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 2651 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that ends in IS that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.