Words containing yam
3 letter words containing yam
- yam — the starchy, tuberous root of any of various climbing vines of the genus Dioscorea, cultivated for food in warm regions.
4 letter words containing yam
- eyam — a village in N central England, in Derbyshire. When plague reached the village in 1665 the inhabitants, led by the Rev. Mompesson, isolated themselves to prevent it spreading further: as a result most of them died, including Mompesson's family
- lyam — (obsolete) A leash.
- yama — the Vedic god presiding over the underworld.
- yami — a member of an Indonesian people of Hungtow Island, off the southeastern coast of Taiwan.
- yaml — YAML Ain't Markup Language
5 letter words containing yam
- oyama — Iwao [ee-wah-aw] /ˈi wɑˌɔ/ (Show IPA), 1842–1916, Japanese field marshal.
- yamen — (in the Chinese Empire) the residence or office of a public official.
- yampa — a river in NW Colorado, flowing W into the Green River in Dinosaur National Monument. 250 miles (402 km) long.
- yampy — a foolish person
6 letter words containing yam
- bayamo — a strong wind blowing from land on the southern coast of Cuba, particularly near the city of Bayamo
- niyama — one of five observances, composing one of the eight practices, or angas, which are cleanliness of mind and body, equanimity, temperance or tapas, self-appraisal, and attentiveness to God, who is conceived of as a completely free spirit.
- toyama — a city on W Honshu, in central Japan.
- yamaha — (company) A Japanese company best known for consumer electronics and motorbikes. They make music synthesizers, CD-Rom Writers and HiFi sound equipment.
- yamani — Sheik Ahmed Zaki [ahkh-med zak-ee] /ˈɑx mɛd ˈzæk i/ (Show IPA), born 1930, Saudi Arabian government official: minister of petroleum and natural resources 1962–86.
7 letter words containing yam
- bat-yam — city in W Israel, on the Mediterranean, near Tel Aviv: pop. 142,000
- bayamon — a city in NE central Puerto Rico, south of San Juan. Pop: 224 915 (2003 est)
- cocoyam — either of two food plants of West Africa, the taro or the yantia, both of which have edible underground stems
- guayama — a city in S Puerto Rico.
- khayyam — Omar, Omar Khayyám.
8 letter words containing yam
- fujiyama — a dormant volcano in central Japan, on Honshu island: highest mountain in Japan. 12,395 feet (3778 meters).
- fukuyama — a city on SW Honshu, in Japan, NE of Hiroshima.
- koriyama — a city on E central Honshu, in Japan.
- momoyama — Azuchi-Momoyama.
- moyamoya — (medicine) A disease in which certain arteries in the brain are constricted.
9 letter words containing yam
- matsuyama — a seaport on NW Shikoku, in SW Japan.
- polyamide — a polymer in which the monomer units are linked together by the amide group –CONH–.
- polyamine — a compound containing more than one amino group.
- polyamory — the practice or condition of participating simultaneously in more than one serious romantic or sexual relationship with the knowledge and consent of all partners.
- pranayama — (in yoga) the art of breath control, practised as an aid to concentration
10 letter words containing yam
- hyoscyamus — the dried leaves, with or without the tops, of the henbane, Hyoscyamus niger, containing the alkaloids hyoscyamine and scopolamine, used in medicine.
- lyam-hound — a bloodhound.
- madhyamika — a school of philosophy, of a.d. c200, that attempted a reconciliation with Hinayana from a Mahayana position.
- shakyamuni — Sakyamuni.
11 letter words containing yam
- higashiyama — of or relating to the period of Japanese art history, especially during the second half of the 15th century, influenced by Zen Buddhism and characterized by architectural simplicity and monochrome painting.
- hyoscyamine — a poisonous alkaloid, C 17 H 23 NO 3 , obtained from henbane and other solanaceous plants, used as a sedative, analgesic, mydriatic, and antispasmodic.
- polyamorous — noting or relating to polyamory, the practice or condition of participating simultaneously in more than one serious romantic or sexual relationship with the knowledge and consent of all partners.
12 letter words containing yam
- yamoussoukro — a republic in W Africa: formerly part of French West Africa; gained independence 1960. 127,520 sq. mi. (330,275 sq. km). Capital: Abidjan.
15 letter words containing yam
- azuchi-momoyama — a period of Japanese art, 1568–1600, characterized by construction of imposing, elegant castles and small, unadorned teahouses, lavish decorative arts, and bright-colored painting.
On this page, we collect all words with YAM. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 69 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that contains YAM that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.