Words starting with y
1 letter words starting with y
2 letter words starting with y
- y- — forming, together with the appropriate inflectional change in the base, the past participle of verbs: its use, as a poetic archaism, survived until the end of the 16th cent.
- ya — the 28th letter of the Arabic alphabet.
- yb — ytterbium
- yc — Young Conservative
- yd — a unit of area measurement equal to a square measuring one yard on each side; 0.8361 square meters. 2 , sq. yd. Abbreviation: yd.
3 letter words starting with y
- y2k — Year 2000
- yaa — The letter \u064a in the Arabic script.
- yad — a tapered, usually ornamented rod, usually of silver, with the tip of the tapered part forming a fist with the index finger extended, used by the reader of a scroll of the Torah as a place marker.
- yag — a synthetic yttrium aluminum garnet, used for infrared lasers and as a gemstone.
- yah — An upper-class person.
4 letter words starting with y
- yaar — (India, Pakistan) A friend, pal, or buddy.
- yaba — /ya'b*/ [Cambridge] Yet Another Bloody Acronym. Whenever some program is being named, someone invariably suggests that it be given a name that is acronymic. The response from those with a trace of originality is to remark ironically that the proposed name would then be "YABA-compatible". Also used in response to questions like "What is WYSIWYG?" See also YA-, TLA.
- yack — to talk, especially uninterruptedly and idly; gab; chatter: They've been yakking on the phone for over an hour.
- yaff — to bark; yelp.
- yafo — Jaffa.
5 letter words starting with y
- y'all — In the Southern United States, people use y'all when addressing a two or more people. Y'all is an informal way of saying 'you all.'
- yaars — Plural form of yaar.
- yabba — a form of methamphetamine
- yabby — a small Australian crayfish, of the genus Cherax, inhabiting streams and water holes.
- yacht — a vessel used for private cruising, racing, or other noncommercial purposes.
6 letter words starting with y
- y-axis — Also called axis of ordinates. (in a plane Cartesian coordinate system) the axis, usually vertical, along which the ordinate is measured and from which the abscissa is measured.
- yabber — jabber.
- yabbie — Alternative spelling of yabby.
- yachts — Plural form of yacht.
- yachty — A yachtsman or yachtswoman.
7 letter words starting with y
8 letter words starting with y
9 letter words starting with y
- yabbering — Present participle of yabber.
- yachtsman — a person who owns or sails a yacht, or who is devoted to yachting.
- yachtsmen — Irregular plural form of yachtsman.
- yahwistic — of, relating to, or characteristic of the Yahwist.
- yamashita — Tomoyuki [taw-maw-yoo-kee] /ˈtɔ mɔˈyu ki/ (Show IPA), ("the Tiger of Malaya") 1885–1946, Japanese general.
10 letter words starting with y
- yajur-veda — a Samhita, containing a collection of sacrificial formulas.
- yakety-yak — incessant talk, chatter
- yankeeland — Chiefly Southern U.S. the northern states of the U.S.
- yarborough — a hand in which no card is higher than a nine.
- yardmaster — a person who superintends all or part of a railroad yard.
11 letter words starting with y
- yachtswoman — a woman who owns or sails a yacht, or who is devoted to yachting.
- yachtswomen — Irregular plural form of yachtswoman.
- yackety-yak — noisy, continuous, and trivial talk or conversation
- yarboroughs — Plural form of yarborough.
- yard-of-ale — a trumpet-shaped glass about 3 feet (1 meter) long with a bulb at the closed end, for serving ale or beer.
12 letter words starting with y
- y-chromosome — a sex chromosome of humans and most mammals that is present only in males and is paired with an X chromosome.
- yachtspeople — Plural form of yachtsperson.
- yachtsperson — A yachtsman or yachtswoman.
- yamoussoukro — a republic in W Africa: formerly part of French West Africa; gained independence 1960. 127,520 sq. mi. (330,275 sq. km). Capital: Abidjan.
- yarrow-river — a river in SE Scotland, flowing into the Tweed. 14 miles (23 km) long.
13 letter words starting with y
14 letter words starting with y
- yekaterinoslav — a former name of Dnepropetrovsk.
- yellow-bellied — having a yellow abdomen or underside.
- yttrotantalite — a mineral, tantalite and niobate of yttrium and various elements, as iron, and cerium, occurring in the form of brown-black crystals.
- yellow-bellied sapsucker — a woodpecker, Sphyrapicus varius, of eastern North America, having a red patch on the forehead and black and white plumage with a pale-yellow abdomen, and feeding on sap from trees.
- yellow-crowned night heron — any of several thick-billed, crepuscular or nocturnal herons of the genus Nycticorax and related genera, as N. nycticorax (black-crowned night heron) of the Old and New Worlds, and Nyctanassa violacea (yellow-crowned night heron) of America.
15 letter words starting with y
- your-excellency — (usually initial capital letter). Also, Excellence. a title of honor given to certain high officials, as governors, ambassadors, and Roman Catholic bishops and archbishops (preceded by his, your, etc.).
- yellow-breasted chat — an American warbler, Icteria virens, having a yellow throat and breast and greenish-brown upper parts and noted for imitating the songs of other species.
- yellow-flowered gourd — the hard-shelled fruit of any of various plants, especially those of Lagenaria siceraria (white-flowered gourd or bottle gourd) whose dried shell is used for bowls and other utensils, and Cucurbita pepo (yellow-flowered gourd) used ornamentally. Compare gourd family.
- yellow-throated vireo — an olive-green vireo, Vireo flavifrons, of eastern North America, having a bright yellow throat and breast.
- yellow-throated warbler — a warbler, Dendroica dominica, of the eastern U.S., having a yellow throat and breast.
17 letter words starting with y
On this page, we collect all words starting with letter Y. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 1366 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with Y. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.