Words starting with pho
3 letter words starting with pho
- pho — a N Vietnamese soup made of beef or chicken stock with rice noodles and thin slices of beef or chicken.
4 letter words starting with pho
- phon — a unit for measuring the apparent loudness of a sound, equal in number for a given sound to the intensity in decibels of a sound having a frequency of 1000 cycles per second when, in the judgment of a group of listeners, the two sounds are of equal loudness.
- phot — a unit of illumination, equal to 1 lumen per square centimeter. Abbreviation: ph.
5 letter words starting with pho
6 letter words starting with pho
- phobia — a persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.
- phobic — of or relating to a phobia or phobias.
- phobos — Also, Phobus [foh-buh s] /ˈfoʊ bəs/ (Show IPA). Classical Mythology. a son and attendant of Ares and the personification of a fear held to possess armies and cause their defeat.
- phobus — Also, Phobus [foh-buh s] /ˈfoʊ bəs/ (Show IPA). Classical Mythology. a son and attendant of Ares and the personification of a fear held to possess armies and cause their defeat.
- phocis — an ancient district in central Greece, N of the Gulf of Corinth: site of Delphic oracle.
7 letter words starting with pho
- phobist — a person who suffers from an unusual fear or dread of something
- phocaea — an ancient seaport in Asia Minor: northernmost of the Ionian cities; later an important maritime state.
- phocine — of or relating to seals.
- phocion — 402?–317 b.c, Athenian statesman and general.
- phoebus — Classical Mythology. Apollo as the sun god.
8 letter words starting with pho
- phonecam — a digital camera incorporated in a mobile phone
- phonemes — any of a small set of units, usually about 20 to 60 in number, and different for each language, considered to be the basic distinctive units of speech sound by which morphemes, words, and sentences are represented. They are arrived at for any given language by determining which differences in sound function to indicate a difference in meaning, so that in English the difference in sound and meaning between pit and bit is taken to indicate the existence of different labial phonemes, while the difference in sound between the unaspirated p of spun and the aspirated p of pun, since it is never the only distinguishing feature between two different words, is not taken as ground for setting up two different p phonemes in English. Compare distinctive feature (def 1).
- phonemic — of or relating to phonemes: a phonemic system.
- phonetic — Also, phonetical. of or relating to speech sounds, their production, or their transcription in written symbols.
- phoniest — not real or genuine; fake; counterfeit: a phony diamond.
9 letter words starting with pho
- phoenicia — an ancient kingdom on the Mediterranean, in the region of modern Syria, Lebanon, and Israel.
- pholidota — the order comprising the pangolins.
- phonathon — a campaign to solicit funds or support in which volunteers make phone calls to prospective donors or supporters.
- phonation — rapid, periodic opening and closing of the glottis through separation and apposition of the vocal cords that, accompanied by breath under lung pressure, constitutes a source of vocal sound.
- phonatory — rapid, periodic opening and closing of the glottis through separation and apposition of the vocal cords that, accompanied by breath under lung pressure, constitutes a source of vocal sound.
10 letter words starting with pho
- phocomelia — a usually congenital deformity of the extremities in which the limbs are abnormally short.
- phoenician — a native or inhabitant of Phoenicia.
- phoenixism — the process of making a business insolvent in order to evade paying debts and then setting the business up again under a new name
- phokomelia — a usually congenital deformity of the extremities in which the limbs are abnormally short.
- pholidosis — the layout or disposition of the scales of reptiles
11 letter words starting with pho
- phobophobia — an abnormal fear of developing a phobia; anxiety about showing symptoms of a phobia.
- phoenixlike — having a resemblance to a phoenix in the sense of re-emerging and beginning again
- phonematics — phonemics.
- phonemicize — to transcribe into phonemic symbols.
- phonetastic — (communications) A CTI product from Callware. Phonetastic employs if-then rules and customer records to tell those receiving calls who is calling (based on ANI and DNIS) and to determine how the call should be routed, e.g. to a certain sales representative or to the general sales department; receive high-priority treatment; receive a fax-back, etc.
12 letter words starting with pho
- phoenixville — a city in SE Pennsylvania.
- phonasthenia — difficult or abnormal voice production; vocal weakness.
- phonemically — of or relating to phonemes: a phonemic system.
- phonesthemic — (of a speech sound) shared by a set of echoic or symbolic words, as the sn- of sneer, snarl, snatch, snide, snitch, snoop, etc.
- phonetically — Also, phonetical. of or relating to speech sounds, their production, or their transcription in written symbols.
13 letter words starting with pho
- phonautograph — a piece of equipment that records sound visually by detecting the sound waves and indicating them on a graph
- phone-tapping — Phone-tapping is the activity of listening secretly to someone's phone conversations using special electronic equipment. In most cases phone-tapping is illegal.
- phonendoscope — an instrument that amplifies small sounds, esp within the human body
- phonocamptics — the branch of acoustics dealing with echoes
- phonoreceptor — a receptor stimulated by sound waves.
14 letter words starting with pho
- phonochemistry — the branch of chemistry concerned with the chemical effects of sound and ultrasonic waves
- phonoreception — the physiological perception of sound.
- phosphoprotein — a protein, as casein or ovalbumin, in which one or more hydroxyl groups of serine, threonine, or tyrosine are hydroxylated.
- phosphorescent — exhibiting phosphorescence.
- phosphorolysis — any reaction where chemical bonds are broken down by phosphoric acid or phosphate
15 letter words starting with pho
- phonautographic — relating to a phonautograph or a piece of equipment that records sound visually by detecting the sound waves and indicating them on a graph
- phonemicization — a grouping of phonemes
- phoneticization — the representation of speech in writing using a system in which individual symbols reflect speech sounds in a regular manner
- phonocardiogram — the graphic record produced by a phonocardiograph.
- phonogramically — in a phonogramic manner
16 letter words starting with pho
- phonocardiograph — an instrument for graphically recording the sound of the heartbeat.
- photoautotrophic — any organism that derives its energy for food synthesis from light and is capable of using carbon dioxide as its principal source of carbon.
- photochronograph — a device formerly used for taking a series of instantaneous photographs of a rapidly moving object.
- photocoagulation — a surgical technique using an intense beam of light from a laser or a xenon-arc bulb to seal blood vessels or coagulate tissue, used primarily in ophthalmology to repair detached retinas or to treat certain kinds of retinopathy.
- photocomposition — any method of composition using photography, as composition by means of a photocomposer.
17 letter words starting with pho
- photo-composition — any method of composition using photography, as composition by means of a photocomposer.
- photo-respiration — the oxidation of carbohydrates in many higher plants in which they get oxygen from light and then release carbon dioxide, somewhat different from photosynthesis.
- photoconductivity — the increase in the electrical conductivity of a substance, often nonmetallic, caused by the absorption of electromagnetic radiation.
- photodissociation — the dissociation or breakdown of a chemical compound by radiant energy.
- photofluorography — photography of images produced by a fluoroscopic examination, used in x-ray examination of the lungs of large groups of people.
18 letter words starting with pho
- phosphatidylserine — any of a class of phospholipids occurring in biological membranes and fats
- photodecomposition — the breaking down of molecules by radiant energy.
- photoisomerization — isomerization induced by light.
- photomorphogenesis — plant development that is controlled by light.
- photosensitization — to make (a material) photosensitive, as by the application of a photosensitive emulsion.
19 letter words starting with pho
20 letter words starting with pho
- photophosphorylation — phosphorylation that utilizes light as a source of energy, as in the formation of ATP from ADP and phosphorus during photosynthesis.
On this page, we collect all words starting with PHO. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 501 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with PHO. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.