Words starting with hy
2 letter words starting with hy
4 letter words starting with hy
5 letter words starting with hy
- hydr- — hydro-
- hydra — A minute freshwater coelenterate with a stalklike tubular body and a ring of tentacles around the mouth.
- hydro — Informal. hydroelectric power.
- hyena — a doglike carnivore of the family Hyaenidae, of Africa, southwestern Asia, and south central Asia, having a coarse coat, a sloping back, and large teeth and feeding chiefly on carrion, often in packs.
- hying — past participle of hie.
6 letter words starting with hy
- hyades — Astronomy. a group of stars comprising a moving cluster in the constellation Taurus, supposed by the ancients to indicate the approach of rain when they rose with the sun.
- hyaena — a doglike carnivore of the family Hyaenidae, of Africa, southwestern Asia, and south central Asia, having a coarse coat, a sloping back, and large teeth and feeding chiefly on carrion, often in packs.
- hyalin — Also, hyalin, H04/H0454500 hahy-uh-lin, ˈhaɪ ə lɪn. Biochemistry. a horny substance found in hydatid cysts, closely resembling chitin. a structureless, transparent substance found in cartilage, the eye, etc., resulting from the pathological degeneration of tissue.
- hyalo- — of, relating to, or resembling glass
- hybrid — the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, especially as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics.
7 letter words starting with hy
- hyaline — Also, hyalin, H04/H0454500 hahy-uh-lin, ˈhaɪ ə lɪn. Biochemistry. a horny substance found in hydatid cysts, closely resembling chitin. a structureless, transparent substance found in cartilage, the eye, etc., resulting from the pathological degeneration of tissue.
- hyalite — a colorless variety of opal, sometimes transparent like glass, and sometimes whitish and translucent.
- hyaloid — hyaloid membrane.
- hydatid — a cyst with watery contents that is produced in humans and animals by a tapeworm in the larval state; cysticerus.
- hydrant — an upright pipe with a spout, nozzle, or other outlet, usually in the street, for drawing water from a main or service pipe, especially for fighting fires.
8 letter words starting with hy
- hyacinth — a female given name.
- hyalogen — any of several insoluble substances found in many animal structures such as cartilage which yield sugars on hydrolysis structures
- hydracid — an acid that does not contain oxygen, as hydrochloric acid, HCl.
- hydranth — the terminal part of a hydroid polyp that bears the mouth and tentacles and contains the stomach region.
- hydrarch — (of a sere) originating in a wet habitat.
9 letter words starting with hy
- hyalinize — to become hyaline.
- hyalomere — the transparent part of a blood platelet, surrounding the chromomere.
- hybridise — to cause to produce hybrids; cross.
- hybridism — Also, hybridity [hahy-brid-i-tee] /haɪˈbrɪd ɪ ti/ (Show IPA). the quality or condition of being hybrid.
- hybridity — Also, hybridity [hahy-brid-i-tee] /haɪˈbrɪd ɪ ti/ (Show IPA). the quality or condition of being hybrid.
10 letter words starting with hy
11 letter words starting with hy
12 letter words starting with hy
- hydatidiform — like or resembling a hydatid
- hydnocarpate — a salt or ester of hydnocarpic acid.
- hydra-headed — containing many problems, difficulties, or obstacles.
- hydrargyrism — mercurialism.
- hydrastinine — a white, crystalline, poisonous alkaloid, C 11 H 13 NO 3 , synthesized from hydrastine: used to arrest bleeding, especially in the uterus.
13 letter words starting with hy
- hyalinization — a condition in which normal tissue deteriorates into a homogeneous, translucent material.
- hyaluronidase — Biochemistry. a mucolytic enzyme found in the testes, in snake venom, and in hemolytic streptococci and certain other bacteria, that decreases the viscosity of the intercellular matrix by breaking down hyaluronic acid.
- hybridization — to cause to produce hybrids; cross.
- hydrargillite — gibbsite.
- hydrarthrosis — a build-up of fluid or water in the cavity of a joint, esp the knee joint
14 letter words starting with hy
- hydroacoustics — the study of sound travelling through water
- hydrocellulose — a gelatinous substance obtained by the partial hydrolysis of cellulose, used chiefly in the manufacture of paper, mercerized cotton, and viscose rayon.
- hydrocephaloid — resembling hydrocephalus.
- hydrocortisone — Biochemistry. a steroid hormone, C 21 H 30 O 5 , of the adrenal cortex, active in carbohydrate and protein metabolism.
- hydrogenolysis — decomposition of a compound resulting from its interaction with hydrogen.
15 letter words starting with hy
- hydrodynamicist — a specialist in hydrodynamics.
- hydrofracturing — a process in which fractures in rocks below the earth's surface are opened and widened by injecting chemicals and liquids at high pressure: used especially to extract natural gas or oil.
- hydrometallurgy — the technique or process of extracting metals at ordinary temperatures by leaching ore with liquid solvents.
- hyper-emotional — pertaining to or involving emotion or the emotions.
- hyper-energetic — possessing or exhibiting energy, especially in abundance; vigorous: an energetic leader.
16 letter words starting with hy
- hydroelectricity — pertaining to the generation and distribution of electricity derived from the energy of falling water or any other hydraulic source.
- hydroformylation — the addition of a hydrogen atom and the formyl group to a double bond of a hydrocarbon by reaction with a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen in the presence of a catalyst.
- hydrometeorology — the study of atmospheric water, especially precipitation, as it affects agriculture, water supply, flood control, power generation, etc.
- hydrophyllaceous — belonging to the Hydrophyllaceae, the waterleaf family of plants.
- hygrothermograph — an instrument for recording temperature and relative humidity.
17 letter words starting with hy
- hydrotherapeutics — hydrotherapy.
- hydroxytryptamine — (organic compound) Any hydroxy derivative of tryptamine, but especially 5-hydroxytryptamine (serotonin).
- hyper-intelligent — having good understanding or a high mental capacity; quick to comprehend, as persons or animals: an intelligent student.
- hyper-peristalsis — the progressive wave of contraction and relaxation of a tubular muscular system, especially the alimentary canal, by which the contents are forced through the system.
- hyperalimentation — overfeeding.
18 letter words starting with hy
- hydroxychloroquine — a colorless crystalline solid, C 18 H 26 ClN 3 O, used in the treatment of malaria, lupus erythematosus, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- hydroxynaphthalene — naphthol.
- hyper-intellectual — appealing to or engaging the intellect: intellectual pursuits.
- hyper-metaphorical — a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”. Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def 1).
- hyperaldosteronism — aldosteronism.
19 letter words starting with hy
- hydrochlorothiazide — a crystalline, water-insoluble powder, C 7 H 8 ClN 3 O 4 S 2 , used as a diuretic and in the treatment of hypertension.
- hydropneumatization — utilization of air pressure in the housing of a water turbine to keep the level of water that has been used from rising to interfere with the rotor blades.
- hyper-nationalistic — a person devoted to nationalism.
- hyperparathyroidism — overactivity of the parathyroid gland, characterized by softening of the bones, with consequent pain, tenderness, and a tendency to spontaneous fractures, and by muscular weakness and abdominal cramps.
- hypersuggestibility — subject to or easily influenced by suggestion.
20 letter words starting with hy
- hydrodesulfurization — desulfurization by catalytic agents of the sulfur-rich hydrocarbons obtained from petroleum or the like during cracking or hydrocracking.
- hypercholesterolemia — the presence of an excessive amount of cholesterol in the blood.
- hyperlipoproteinemia — Pathology. any of various disorders of lipoprotein metabolism, usually characterized by abnormally high levels of cholesterol and certain lipoproteins in the blood.
21 letter words starting with hy
- hypercholesterolaemia — the condition of having a high concentration of cholesterol in the blood
- hypogammaglobulinemia — A type of immune disorder characterised by a reduction in all types of gamma globulins.
- hypothetico-deductive — pertaining to or governed by the supposed method of scientific progress whereby a general hypothesis is tested by deducing predictions that may be experimentally tested. When such a prediction is falsified the theory is rejected and a new hypothesis is required
- hypothetico-deductive method — a method in which a hypothetical model based on observations is proposed and is then tested by the deduction of consequences from the model.
23 letter words starting with hy
- hypobetalipoproteinemia — (pathology) A low level of betalipoprotein (low-density lipoprotein) in the bloodstream.
24 letter words starting with hy
- hyperbetalipoproteinemia — An abnormally high level of betalipoprotein in the blood.
27 letter words starting with hy
- hyperextension-hyperflexion injury — any injury to the neck resulting from a sudden thrusting forwards and snapping back of the unsupported head; whiplash injury
On this page, we collect all words starting with HY. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 1683 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with HY. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.