Words starting with file
4 letter words starting with file
- file — a powder made from the ground leaves of the sassafras tree, used as a thickener and to impart a pungent taste to soups, gumbos, and other dishes.
- file a claim — If you file a claim, you make a request to an insurance company for payment of a sum of money according to the terms of an insurance policy.
- file allocation table — (file system) (FAT) The component of an MS-DOS or Windows 95 file system which describes the files, directories, and free space on a hard disk or floppy disk. A disk is divided into partitions. Under the FAT file system each partition is divided into clusters, each of which can be one or more sectors, depending on the size of the partition. Each cluster is either allocated to a file or directory or it is free (unused). A directory lists the name, size, modification time and starting cluster of each file or subdirectory it contains. At the start of the partition is a table (the FAT) with one entry for each cluster. Each entry gives the number of the next cluster in the same file or a special value for "not allocated" or a special value for "this is the last cluster in the chain". The first few clusters after the FAT contain the root directory. The FAT file system was originally created for the CP/M[?] operating system where files were catalogued using 8-bit addressing. MS DOS's FAT allows only 8.3 filenames. With the introduction of MS-DOS 4 an incompatible 16-bit FAT (FAT16) with 32-kilobyte clusters was introduced that allowed partitions of up to 2 gigabytes. Microsoft later created FAT32 to support partitions larger than two gigabytes and pathnames greater that 256 characters. It also allows more efficient use of disk space since clusters are four kilobytes rather than 32 kilobytes. FAT32 was first available in OEM Service Release 2 of Windows 95 in 1996. It is not fully backward compatible with the 16-bit and 8-bit FATs. Compare: NTFS.
- file attach — [FidoNet] 1. A file sent along with a mail message from one BBS to another. 2. Sending someone a file by using the File Attach option in a BBS mailer.
- file away — in folder
5 letter words starting with file
- filed — Simple past tense and past participle of file.
- filer — a long, narrow tool of steel or other metal having a series of ridges or points on its surfaces for reducing or smoothing surfaces of metal, wood, etc.
- files — Plural form of file.
- filet — A kind of net or lace with a square mesh.
- filet lace — a square mesh net or lace, originally knotted by hand but now copied by machine.
6 letter words starting with file
7 letter words starting with file
8 letter words starting with file
- fileable — a long, narrow tool of steel or other metal having a series of ridges or points on its surfaces for reducing or smoothing surfaces of metal, wood, etc.
- filecard — a card of a size suitable for filing, typically 3 × 5 inches (7.62 × 12.7 cm) or 4 × 6 inches (10.16 × 15.24 cm).
- filefish — any of several flattened marine fishes of the family Monacanthidae, having an elongated head with a small mouth and small, spiny scales.
- filename — an identifying name given to an electronically stored computer file, conforming to limitations imposed by the operating system, as in length or restricted choice of characters.
- filename extension — (filename extension) The portion of a filename, following the final point, which indicates the kind of data stored in the file - the file type. Many operating systems use filename extensions, e.g. Unix, VMS, MS-DOS, Microsoft Windows. They are usually from one to three letters (some sad old OSes support no more than three). Examples include "c" for C source code, "ps" for PostScript, "txt" for arbitrary text. Apart from informing the user what type of content the file holds, filename extensions are typically used to decide which program to launch when a file is "run", e.g. by double-clicking it in a GUI file browser. They are also used by Unix's make to determine how to build one kind of file from another. Compare: MIME type.
9 letter words starting with file
10 letter words starting with file
- filefishes — Plural form of filefish.
- filemaker, inc. — (company) The company that distributes the FileMaker database. FileMaker, Inc. was previously known as Claris and was renamed after a restructuring in January 1998.
- filesystem hierarchy standard — (storage, standard) (FHS) A standard designed to be used by Unix distribution developers, package developers, and system implementors. FHS consists of a set of requirements and guidelines for file and directory placement under UNIX-like operating systems. The guidelines are intended to support interoperability of applications, system administration tools, development tools, and scripts. These systems should also be supported with greater documentation uniformity. The standard is primarily intended to be a reference and is not a tutorial on how to manage a Unix filesystem or directory hierarchy.
11 letter words starting with file
- file-powder — a powder made from the ground leaves of the sassafras tree, used as a thickener and to impart a pungent taste to soups, gumbos, and other dishes.
12 letter words starting with file
- file-sharing — File-sharing is a method of distributing computer files, for example files containing music, among a large number of users.
On this page, we collect all words starting with FILE. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 52 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with FILE. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.