Words starting with 3
3 letter words starting with 3
- 386 — Intel 80386
- 3do — (company, games, standard) A set of specifications created and owned by the 3DO company, which is a partnership of seven different companies. These specs are the blueprint for making a 3DO Interactive Multiplayer and are licensed to hardware and software producers. A 3DO system has an ARM60 32-bit RISC CPU and a graphics engine based around two custom designed graphics and animation processors. It has 2 Megabytes of DRAM, 1 Megabyte of VRAM, and a double speed CD-ROM drive for main storage. The Panasonic 3DO system can run 3DO Interactive software, play audio CDs (including support for CD+G), view Photo-CDs, and will eventually be able to play Video CDs with a special add-on MPEG1 full-motion video cartridge. Up to 8 controllers can be daisy-chained on the system at once. A keyboard, mouse, light gun, and other peripherals may also some day be hooked into the system, although they are not currently available (December 1993). The 3DO can display full-motion video, fully texture mapped 3d landscapes, all in 24-bit colour. Sanyo and AT&T will also release 3DO systems. Sanyo's in mid 1994 and AT&T in late 1994. There will be a 3DO add-on cartridge based on the PowerPC to enable the 3DO to compete with Sony's Playstation console and Sega's Saturn console, both of which have a higher specification than the original 3DO. The add-on is commonly known as the M2 or Bulldog. It should hit the shops by Christmas 1995 and will (allegedly) do a million flat shaded polygons per second.
- 3gl — third generation language
- 3nf — database normalisation
4 letter words starting with 3
- 3270 — IBM 3270
- 3780 — Binary Synchronous Transmission
- 3com corporation — (company, networking) A manufacturer of local area network equipment. 3Com was founded in 1979. They acquired BICC Data Networks in 1992, Star-Tek in 1993, Synernetics in 1993, Centrum in 1994, NiceCom in 1994 AccessWorks, Sonix Communications, Primary Access and Chipcom in 1995 and Axon and OnStream Networks in 1996. They merged with U.S. Robotics in 1997.
5 letter words starting with 3
6 letter words starting with 3
- 3-tier — three-tier
- 386bsd — (operating system) (Or "jolix /joh'liks/) A free software port originally derived from the generally available parts of the "Berkeley Net Release/2" to the Intel i386 architecture by William Jolitz and friends. The name Jolix is used to differentiate it from BSDI's port based on the same source tape, which is called BSD/386. Many new and innovative features were added to 386BSD following its original release in June 1992. An unofficial patchkit, available from many anonymous FTP archives, solves many of the problems associated with 386BSD Version 0.1. In addition, many common Unix packages have been ported. 386BSD has been superseded by FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD.
- 3dnow! — (architecture) A floating point SIMD extention from AMD.
- 32-bit application — (architecture, operating system) IBM PC software that runs in a 32-bit flat address space. The term 32-bit application came about because MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows were originally written for the Intel 8088 and 80286 microprocessors. These are 16 bit microprocessors with a segmented address space. Programs with more than 64 kilobytes of code and/or data therefore had to switch between segments quite frequently. As this operation is quite time consuming in comparison to other machine operations, the application's performance may suffer. Furthermore, programming with segments is more involved than programming in a flat address space, giving rise to some complications in programming languages like "memory models" in C and C++. The shift from 16-bit software to 32-bit software on IBM PC clones became possible with the introduction of the Intel 80386 microprocessor. This microprocessor and its successors support a segmented address space with 16-bit and 32 bit segments (more precisely: segments with 16- or 32-bit address offset) or a linear 32-bit address space. For compatibility reasons, however, much of the software is nevertheless written in 16-bit models. See also Win32s.
- 3dnow! professional — (architecture) A floating point SIMD extention from AMD, compatible with Intel's SSE, introduced with the Athlon-4.
8 letter words starting with 3
- 3station — (computer, networking) The archetypal diskless workstation, developed by Bob Metcalfe at 3Com and first available in 1986/1987. The 3Station/2E had a 10 MHz 80286 processor, 1 MB of RAM (expandable to 5 MB), VGA compatible graphics with 256 KB of video RAM, and integrated AUI/BNC network transceivers for LAN access. The product used a single printed-circuit board with four custom ASICs. It had no floppy disk drive or hard disk, it was booted from a server and stored all end-user files there. 3Com advertised "significant cost savings" due to the 3Station's ease of installation and low maintenance (this would now be referred to under the banner of "TCO"). The 3Station cost somewhere between an IBM PC clone and an IBM PC of the day. It was not commercially successful.
12 letter words starting with 3
- 386spart.par — (operating system) (Or "WIN386.SWP") 386SPART.PAR was a hidden file created by Windows 3.1 for use as virtual memory swap file. It was generally found in the root directory, however it could appear elsewhere. Its size depended on how much virtual memory you set up.
On this page, we collect all words starting with letter 3. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 16 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that beginning with 3. that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.