Words containing phor
5 letter words containing phor
- ephor — (in ancient Greece) one of five senior Spartan magistrates.
6 letter words containing phor
7 letter words containing phor
- alphorn — a wind instrument used in the Swiss Alps, consisting of a very long tube of wood or bark with a cornet-like mouthpiece
- amphora — an ancient Greek or Roman two-handled narrow-necked jar for oil, wine, etc
- anaphor — a word or phrase used to refer back to a previous word or phrase
- biophor — (in Weismann's theory of heredity) a hypothetical particle of the ultimate form of matter
- camphor — Camphor is a strong-smelling white substance used in various medicines, in mothballs, and in making plastics.
8 letter words containing phor
- -phorous — bearing, producing
- alphorns — Plural form of alphorn.
- amphorae — a large two-handled storage jar having an oval body, usually tapering to a point at the base, with a pair of handles extending from immediately below the lip to the shoulder: used chiefly for oil, wine, etc., and, set on a foot, as a commemorative vase awarded the victors in contests such as the Panathenaic games.
- amphoral — relating to or resembling an amphora
- amphoric — resembling the sound produced by blowing into a bottle. Amphoric breath sounds are heard through a stethoscope placed over a cavity in the lung
9 letter words containing phor
10 letter words containing phor
- adiaphoron — a thing of indifference
- androphore — an extension of the receptacle carrying the androecium and the gynoecium, typical of the caper family (Capparidaceae)
- anthophore — an elongation of the receptacle of a flower between the calyx and corolla
- aphoristic — of, relating to, or resembling an aphorism
- aphorizing — Present participle of aphorize.
11 letter words containing phor
- adiaphorism — a Christian Protestant theological theory that certain rites and actions are matters of indifference in religion since not forbidden by the Scriptures
- adiaphorous — having no effect for good or ill, as a drug or placebo
- amphoriskos — a miniature amphora.
- anaphoresis — the movement of suspended charged particles towards the anode in an electric field
- anaphorical — of or relating to an anaphora
12 letter words containing phor
13 letter words containing phor
- anaphorically — referring back to or substituting for a preceding word or group of words: anaphoric reference.
- camphoraceous — similar to camphor
- chaetophorous — bearing bristles; setigerous.
- chromatophore — a cell in the skin of frogs, chameleons, etc, in which pigment is concentrated or dispersed, causing the animal to change colour
- conidiophores — Plural form of conidiophore.
14 letter words containing phor
- aphoristically — in an aphoristic manner
- chondrophorine — relating to chondrophores
- chromatophores — Plural form of chromatophore.
- electrophorese — (biochemistry) To carry out electrophoresis on something.
- euphorbiaceous — of, relating to, or belonging to the Euphorbiaceae, a family of plants typically having capsular fruits: includes the spurges, the castor oil and cassava plants, cascarilla, and poinsettia
15 letter words containing phor
- dephosphorylate — to remove a phosphate group from (an organic compound)
- electrophoreses — Plural form of electrophoresis.
- electrophoresis — The movement of charged particles in a fluid or gel under the influence of an electric field.
- electrophoretic — Of, pertaining to, or produced by electrophoresis.
- hypophosphorous — of or derived from hypophosphorous acid.
16 letter words containing phor
17 letter words containing phor
- dephosphorylation — the removal of a phosphate group from an organic compound, as in the changing of ATP to ADP.
- dielectrophoresis — Dielectrophoresis is the movement of uncharged particles (= ones with no electrical charge) when a changing electric field is applied.
- iontophoretically — By means of iontophoresis.
- organophosphorous — Misspelling of organophosphorus.
18 letter words containing phor
- hexaphosphorylated — (biochemistry) phosphorylated with six units of phosphoric acid.
- hyper-metaphorical — a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”. Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def 1).
- hyperphosphorylate — To phosphorylate fully.
- hypophosphorylated — (biochemistry) phosphorylated to a less than normal extent, or less than fully.
- monophosphorylated — (biochemistry) phosphorylated with a single unit of phosphoric acid.
19 letter words containing phor
20 letter words containing phor
- microelectrophoresis — any of several techniques for observing, by means of a microscope or an ultramicroscope, the electrophoresis of minute surface particles.
- photophosphorylation — phosphorylation that utilizes light as a source of energy, as in the formation of ATP from ADP and phosphorus during photosynthesis.
21 letter words containing phor
- immunoelectrophoresis — a technique for the separation and identification of mixtures of proteins, consisting of electrophoresis followed by immunodiffusion.
- immunoelectrophoretic — a technique for the separation and identification of mixtures of proteins, consisting of electrophoresis followed by immunodiffusion.
- thermophosphorescence — thermoluminescence.
26 letter words containing phor
- organophosphorus-compounds — Biochemistry. any of a variety of organic compounds that contain phosphorus and often have intense neurotoxic activity: originally developed as nerve gases, now widely used as insecticides and fire retardants.
On this page, we collect all words with PHOR. To make easier to find the right word we have divided all 318 words to groups according to their length. So you should go to appropriate page if can’t find the word that contains PHOR that you are searching. Also you can use this page in Scrabble.