- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of zone word
- noun zone any continuous area that differs in some respect, or is distinguished for some purpose, from adjoining areas, or within which certain distinctive circumstances exist or are established: The decisions were formulated in a zone of uncertainty. The temperature lies outside the danger zone. 1
- noun zone Geography. any of five great divisions of the earth's surface, bounded by lines parallel to the equator and named according to the prevailing temperature. Compare North Frigid Zone, North Temperate Zone, South Frigid Zone, South Temperate Zone, Torrid Zone. 1
- noun zone Biogeography. an area characterized by a particular set of organisms, whose presence is determined by environmental conditions, as an altitudinal belt on a mountain. 1
- noun zone Geology. a horizon. 1
- noun zone Geometry. a part of the surface of a sphere included between two parallel planes. 1
- noun zone a specific district, area, etc., within which a uniform charge is made for transportation, mail delivery, or other service. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of zone
First appearance:before 1490
One of the 26% oldest English words
1490-1500; < Latin zōna < Greek zṓnē belt
Parts of speech for Zone
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 98% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
Synonyms for zone
- area — An area is a particular part of a town, a country, a region, or the world.
- region — an extensive, continuous part of a surface, space, or body: a region of the earth.
- district — a division of territory, as of a country, state, or county, marked off for administrative, electoral, or other purposes.
- sector — Geometry. a plane figure bounded by two radii and the included arc of a circle.
- neighbourhood — Standard spelling of neighborhood.
Antonyms for zone
- whole — comprising the full quantity, amount, extent, number, etc., without diminution or exception; entire, full, or total: He ate the whole pie. They ran the whole distance.
Top questions with zone
- what time zone am i in?
- what time zone is iowa?
- what time zone is indianapolis?
- what are some devices used for temporary work zone situations?
- what time zone is phoenix?
- what time zone is memphis tn?
- what time zone is mississippi in?
- what time zone is nashville?
- how to get out of the friend zone?
- what time zone is salt lake city?
- what time zone is chicago?
- what time zone is nashville tn?
- what time zone is south carolina?
- what time zone is missouri?
- what time zone is north carolina in?
- Words containing the letters z
- Words containing the letters z,o
- Words containing the letters z,o,n
- Words containing the letters z,o,n,e