- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of welling word
- noun welling a hole drilled or bored into the earth to obtain water, petroleum, natural gas, brine, or sulfur. 1
- noun welling a spring or natural source of water. 1
- noun welling an apparent reservoir or a source of human feelings, emotions, energy, etc.: He was a well of gentleness and courtesy. 1
- noun welling a container, receptacle, or reservoir for a liquid: the well of ink in a fountain pen. 1
- noun welling any sunken or deep, enclosed space, as a shaft for air or light, stairs, or an elevator, extending vertically through the floors of a building. 1
- noun welling Nautical. a part of a weather deck between two superstructures, extending from one side of a vessel to the other. a compartment or enclosure around a ship's pumps to make them easily accessible and protect them from being damaged by the cargo. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of welling
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; (noun) Middle English well(e), Old English wylle, wella, welle; cognate with German Welle wave; (v.) Middle English wellen, Old English wellan (cognate with Dutch wellen, Old Norse vella); both noun and v. ultimately akin to weallan to boil
Parts of speech for Welling
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
welling usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for welling
- foam — a collection of minute bubbles formed on the surface of a liquid by agitation, fermentation, etc.: foam on a glass of beer.
- boil — When a hot liquid boils or when you boil it, bubbles appear in it and it starts to change into steam or vapour.
- burble — If something burbles, it makes a low continuous bubbling sound.
- churn — A churn is a container which is used for making butter.
- erupt — (of a volcano) become active and eject lava, ash, and gases.
- emergence — The process of coming into view or becoming exposed after being concealed.
- beginning — The beginning of an event or process is the first part of it.
- derivation — The derivation of something, especially a word, is its origin or source.
- drainage — the act or process of draining.
- effluence — the action or process of flowing out; efflux.
Antonyms for welling
- freeze — to become hardened into ice or into a solid body; change from the liquid to the solid state by loss of heat.
- expand — explain
- extend — Cause to cover a larger area; make longer or wider.
- grow — to increase by natural development, as any living organism or part by assimilation of nutriment; increase in size or substance.
- increase — to make greater, as in number, size, strength, or quality; augment; add to: to increase taxes.
- completion — the act of completing, or finishing
- conclusion — When you come to a conclusion, you decide that something is true after you have thought about it carefully and have considered all the relevant facts.
- consequence — The consequences of something are the results or effects of it.
- effect — something that is produced by an agency or cause; result; consequence: Exposure to the sun had the effect of toughening his skin.
- end — Come or bring to a final point; finish.
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with we
- Words starting with wel
- Words starting with well
- Words starting with welli
- Words starting with wellin
- Words starting with welling
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,e
- Words containing the letters w,e,l
- Words containing the letters w,e,l,i
- Words containing the letters w,e,l,i,n
- Words containing the letters w,e,l,i,n,g
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?