- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of weighed word
- verb with object weighed to determine or ascertain the force that gravitation exerts upon (a person or thing) by use of a balance, scale, or other mechanical device: to weigh oneself; to weigh potatoes; to weigh gases. 1
- verb with object weighed to hold up or balance, as in the hand, in order to estimate the weight. 1
- verb with object weighed to measure, separate, or apportion (a certain quantity of something) according to weight (usually followed by out): to weigh out five pounds of sugar. 1
- verb with object weighed to make heavy; increase the weight or bulk of; weight: We weighed the drapes to make them hang properly. 1
- verb with object weighed to evaluate in the mind; consider carefully in order to reach an opinion, decision, or choice: to weigh the facts; to weigh a proposal. 1
- verb with object weighed Archaic. to raise, lift, or hoist (something). 1
Information block about the term
Origin of weighed
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English weghen, Old English wegan to carry, weigh; cognate with Dutch wegen, German wägen, Old Norse vega; akin to Latin vehere
Parts of speech for Weighed
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 88% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
According to our data about 52% of words is more used. This is a rare but used term. It occurs in the pages of specialized literature and in the speech of educated people.
weighed usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for weighed
- measured — ascertained or apportioned by measure: The race was over the course of a measured mile.
- prearranged — to arrange in advance or beforehand.
- witting — knowing; aware; conscious.
- cut and dried — If you say that a situation or solution is cut and dried, you mean that it is clear and definite.
- considered — A considered opinion or act is the result of careful thought.
Antonyms for weighed
- ignored — to refrain from noticing or recognizing: to ignore insulting remarks.
- neglected — to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight: The public neglected his genius for many years.
- disregarded — to pay no attention to; leave out of consideration; ignore: Disregard the footnotes.
- forgot — a simple past tense and past participle of forget.
- exonerated — Freed from any question of guilt, acquitted.
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with we
- Words starting with wei
- Words starting with weig
- Words starting with weigh
- Words starting with weighe
- Words starting with weighed
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,e
- Words containing the letters w,e,i
- Words containing the letters w,e,i,g
- Words containing the letters w,e,i,g,h
- Words containing the letters w,e,i,g,h,d
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?