- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of web word
- noun web something formed by or as if by weaving or interweaving. 1
- noun web a thin, silken material spun by spiders and the larvae of some insects, as the webworms and tent caterpillars; cobweb. 1
- noun web Textiles. a woven fabric, especially a whole piece of cloth in the course of being woven or after it comes from the loom. the flat woven strip, without pile, often found at one or both ends of an Oriental rug. 1
- noun web something resembling woven material, especially something having an interlaced or latticelike appearance: He looked up at the web of branches of the old tree. 1
- noun web an intricate set or pattern of circumstances, facts, etc.: The thief was convicted by a web of evidence. Who can understand the web of life? 1
- noun web something that snares or entangles; a trap: innocent travelers caught in the web of international terrorism. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of web
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English (noun), Old English; cognate with Dutch, Low German webbe, Old Norse vefr; akin to weave
Parts of speech for Web
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
web usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for web
- network — any netlike combination of filaments, lines, veins, passages, or the like: a network of arteries; a network of sewers under the city.
- mesh — any knit, woven, or knotted fabric of open texture.
- net — net income, profit, or the like.
- tissue — Biology. an aggregate of similar cells and cell products forming a definite kind of structural material with a specific function, in a multicellular organism.
- grid — a grating of crossed bars; gridiron.
- knit — to make (a garment, fabric, etc.) by interlocking loops of one or more yarns either by hand with knitting needles or by machine.
- cabled — Simple past tense and past participle of cable.
- purl — the action or sound of purling.
- webbed — having the fingers or toes connected by a web or membrane: the webbed foot of a duck or beaver.
- crocheted — made with a crochet hook
Antonyms for web
- ease — freedom from labor, pain, or physical annoyance; tranquil rest; comfort: to enjoy one's ease.
- order — an authoritative direction or instruction; command; mandate.
- organization — the act or process of organizing.
- organisation — the act or process of organizing.
- simplicity — the state, quality, or an instance of being simple.
Top questions with web
- what is the dark web?
- how to make a web?
- how to create a web?
- how to access the deep web?
- what is the deep web?
- how to become a web designer?
- how to search for a word on a web page?
- how to access the dark web?
- how to make a web for free?
- what is a food web?
- who was web dubois?
- how to get to the deep web?
- how to get to the dark web?
- what is a web browser?
- how to cite web in mla?
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?