- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of weaving word
- verb with object weaving to interlace (threads, yarns, strips, fibrous material, etc.) so as to form a fabric or material. 1
- verb with object weaving to form by interlacing threads, yarns, strands, or strips of some material: to weave a basket; to weave cloth. 1
- verb with object weaving to form by combining various elements or details into a connected whole: to weave a tale; to weave a plan. 1
- verb with object weaving to introduce as an element or detail into a connected whole (usually followed by in or into): She wove an old folk melody into her latest musical composition. 1
- verb with object weaving to direct or move along in a winding or zigzag course; move from side to side, especially to avoid obstructions: to weave one's way through traffic. 1
- verb without object weaving to form or construct something, as fabric, by interlacing threads, yarns, strips, etc. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of weaving
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English weven, Old English wefan; cognate with German weben, Old Norse vefa; see web
Parts of speech for Weaving
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
weaving usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for weaving
- irregular — without symmetry, even shape, formal arrangement, etc.: an irregular pattern.
- nonuniform — Not uniform, regular, or constant; varying.
- unstable — not stable; not firm or firmly fixed; unsteady.
- unpunctual — strictly observant of an appointed or regular time; not late; prompt.
- methodic — performed, disposed, or acting in a systematic way; systematic; orderly: a methodical person.
Top questions with weaving
- how to weaving?
- which activity is involved in creating a traditional navajo weaving?
- what does weaving mean?
- how to make a weaving loom?
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with we
- Words starting with wea
- Words starting with weav
- Words starting with weavi
- Words starting with weavin
- Words starting with weaving
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,e
- Words containing the letters w,e,a
- Words containing the letters w,e,a,v
- Words containing the letters w,e,a,v,i
- Words containing the letters w,e,a,v,i,n
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?