- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of warfare word
- noun warfare the process of military struggle between two nations or groups of nations; war. 1
- noun warfare armed conflict between two massed enemies, armies, or the like. 1
- noun warfare conflict, especially when vicious and unrelenting, between competitors, political rivals, etc. 1
- noun warfare Engagement in or the activities involved in war or conflict. 1
- noun warfare war, combat 1
- noun warfare non-war conflict 1
Information block about the term
Origin of warfare
First appearance:before 1425
One of the 25% oldest English words
1425-75; late Middle English werefare, i.e., a faring forth to war; see war1, fare
Parts of speech for Warfare
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
warfare usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for warfare
- fighting — fit to fight: a boxer who's no longer in fighting shape.
- conflict — Conflict is serious disagreement and argument about something important. If two people or groups are in conflict, they have had a serious disagreement or argument and have not yet reached agreement.
- combat — Combat is fighting that takes place in a war.
- war — a conflict carried on by force of arms, as between nations or between parties within a nation; warfare, as by land, sea, or air.
- battle — A battle is a violent fight between groups of people, especially one between military forces during a war.
Antonyms for warfare
- ceasefire — A ceasefire is an arrangement in which countries or groups of people that are fighting each other agree to stop fighting.
- peace — the normal, nonwarring condition of a nation, group of nations, or the world.
- surrender — to yield (something) to the possession or power of another; deliver up possession of on demand or under duress: to surrender the fort to the enemy; to surrender the stolen goods to the police.
- truce — a suspension of hostilities for a specified period of time by mutual agreement of the warring parties; cease-fire; armistice.
- harmony — agreement; accord; harmonious relations.
Top questions with warfare
- what is trench warfare?
- what is guerrilla warfare?
- what is spiritual warfare?
- how to hack star warfare?
- what does trench warfare mean?
- what was trench warfare?
- what is chemical warfare?
- what type of warfare was common during world war i?
- what is unrestricted submarine warfare?
- how is terrorism different than conventional warfare?
- how to play plants vs zombies garden warfare?
- what does guerrilla warfare mean?
- what was unrestricted submarine warfare?
- who made call of duty advanced warfare?
- who made modern warfare 3?
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with wa
- Words starting with war
- Words starting with warf
- Words starting with warfa
- Words starting with warfar
- Words starting with warfare
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,a
- Words containing the letters w,a,r
- Words containing the letters w,a,r,f
- Words containing the letters w,a,r,f,e
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?