- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of waned word
- verb without object waned to decrease in strength, intensity, etc.: Daylight waned, and night came on. Her enthusiasm for the cause is waning. 1
- verb without object waned to decline in power, importance, prosperity, etc.: Colonialism began to wane after World War II. 1
- verb without object waned to draw to a close; approach an end: Summer is waning. 1
- verb without object waned (of the moon) to decrease periodically in the extent of its illuminated portion after the full moon. Compare wax2 (def 2). 1
- noun waned a gradual decrease or decline in strength, intensity, power, etc. 1
- noun waned the drawing to a close of life, an era, a period, etc. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of waned
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English wanen (v.), Old English wanian to lessen; cognate with Middle Dutch, Middle High German wanen, Old Norse vana to cause to wane, destroy
Parts of speech for Waned
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 87% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
waned usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for waned
- diminished — to make or cause to seem smaller, less, less important, etc.; lessen; reduce.
- decreased — Simple past tense and past participle of decrease.
- declined — to withhold or deny consent to do, enter into or upon, etc.; refuse: He declined to say more about it.
- faded — to lose brightness or vividness of color.
- disappeared — to cease to be seen; vanish from sight.
Antonyms for waned
- waxed — Also called beeswax. a solid, yellowish, nonglycerine substance allied to fats and oils, secreted by bees, plastic when warm and melting at about 145°F, variously employed in making candles, models, casts, ointments, etc., and used by bees in constructing their honeycomb.
- developed — If you talk about developed countries or the developed world, you mean the countries or the parts of the world that are wealthy and have many industries.
- enhanced — enhancement
- enlarged — Simple past tense and past participle of enlarge.
- expanded — Being or having been enlarged, extended, or broadened, in particular.
Top questions with waned
- what does waned mean?
- what is waned?
- what is the meaning of waned?
- what does waxed and waned mean?
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with wa
- Words starting with wan
- Words starting with wane
- Words starting with waned
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,a
- Words containing the letters w,a,n
- Words containing the letters w,a,n,e
- Words containing the letters w,a,n,e,d
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?