- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of wadded word
- noun wadded a small mass, lump, or ball of anything: a wad of paper; a wad of tobacco. 1
- noun wadded a small mass of cotton, wool, or other fibrous or soft material, used for stuffing, padding, packing, etc. 1
- noun wadded a roll of something, especially of bank notes. 1
- noun wadded Informal. a comparatively large stock or quantity of something, especially money: He's got a healthy wad salted away. 1
- noun wadded a plug of cloth, tow, paper, or the like, used to hold the powder or shot, or both, in place in a gun or cartridge. 1
- noun wadded British Dialect. a bundle, especially a small one, of hay, straw, etc. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of wadded
First appearance:before 1530
One of the 29% oldest English words
1530-40; < Medieval Latin wadda < Arabic bāṭa'in lining of a garment, batting; compare French ouate, Dutch watte, Swedish vadd
Parts of speech for Wadded
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 87% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
According to our data about 64% of words is more used. This is a rare but used term. It occurs in the pages of specialized literature and in the speech of educated people.
wadded usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for wadded
- interlined — Simple past tense and past participle of interline.
- coated — covered with an outer layer, film, etc
- stuffed — the material of which anything is made: a hard, crystalline stuff.
- brushed — Brushed cotton, nylon, or other fabric feels soft and furry.
- encrusted — Simple past tense and past participle of encrust.
- break down — If a machine or a vehicle breaks down, it stops working.
- buckle — A buckle is a piece of metal or plastic attached to one end of a belt or strap, which is used to fasten it.
- crush — To crush something means to press it very hard so that its shape is destroyed or so that it breaks into pieces.
- scrunch — to crunch, crush, or crumple.
- collapse — If a building or other structure collapses, it falls down very suddenly.
Antonyms for wadded
- flatten — to make flat.
- rise — to get up from a lying, sitting, or kneeling posture; assume an upright position: She rose and walked over to greet me. With great effort he rose to his knees.
- smooth — free from projections or unevenness of surface; not rough: smooth wood; a smooth road.
- straighten — make straight
- allow — If someone is allowed to do something, it is all right for them to do it and they will not get into trouble.
- Words starting with w
- Words starting with wa
- Words starting with wad
- Words starting with wadd
- Words starting with wadde
- Words starting with wadded
- Words containing the letters w
- Words containing the letters w,a
- Words containing the letters w,a,d
- Words containing the letters w,a,d,e