- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of vamp word
- noun vamp a seductive woman who uses her sensuality to exploit men. 1
- verb with object vamp to use feminine charms upon; seduce. 1
- verb without object vamp to act as a vamp. 1
- noun vamp predatory woman 1
- noun vamp upper part of shoe or boot 1
- countable noun vamp If you describe a woman as a vamp, you mean that she uses her sexual attractiveness to get what she wants from men. 0
Information block about the term
Origin of vamp
First appearance:before 1175
One of the 8% oldest English words
1175-1225; Middle English vampe < Anglo-French; Middle French avant-pie, equivalent to avant- fore- (see avaunt) + pie foot (French pied; see -ped)
Parts of speech for Vamp
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 89% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
vamp usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for vamp
- attract — If something attracts people or animals, it has features that cause them to come to it.
- batched — a quantity or number coming at one time or taken together: a batch of prisoners.
- batching — a quantity or number coming at one time or taken together: a batch of prisoners.
- beguile — If something beguiles you, you are charmed and attracted by it.
- bewitch — If someone or something bewitches you, you are so attracted to them that you cannot think about anything else.
- bitch — If someone calls a woman a bitch, they are saying in a very rude way that they think she behaves in a very unpleasant way.
- coquette — A coquette is a woman who behaves in a coquettish way.
- cruiser — A cruiser is a motor boat which has an area for people to live or sleep in.
- femme fatale — an irresistibly attractive woman, especially one who leads men into difficult, dangerous, or disastrous situations; siren.
- flirt — to court triflingly or act amorously without serious intentions; play at love; coquet.
Top questions with vamp
- how to beat vamp mgs4?
- what does vamp mean?
- what is a vamp?
- what is vamp?
- what is spell vamp?
- mgs4 how to beat vamp?
- how to vamp?
- lol what is spell vamp?
- what is spell vamp lol?
- what is the vamp of a shoe?
- what is a vamp in music?
- how to kill vamp?
- what is vamp in music?
- how to beat vamp?
- how to vamp on piano?
- Words containing the letters v
- Words containing the letters v,a
- Words containing the letters v,a,m
- Words containing the letters v,a,m,p
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?