- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of swank word
- noun swank dashing smartness, as in dress or appearance; style. 1
- noun swank a swagger. 1
- adjective swank stylish or elegant. 1
- adjective swank pretentiously stylish. 1
- verb without object swank to swagger in behavior; show off. 1
- verb swank a simple past tense of swink. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of swank
First appearance:before 1800
One of the 42% newest English words
1800-10; compare Scots swank lively, perhaps ultimately representing back formation from Old English swancor lithe; akin to Middle Dutch swanc supple, Middle High German swanken to sway
Parts of speech for Swank
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 77% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
swank usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for swank
- a go go — as much as you like; to your heart's content; galore: food and drink à gogo.
- a go-go — go-go
- a gogo — as much as one likes; galore
- all the rage — angry fury; violent anger (sometimes used in combination): a speech full of rage; incidents of road rage.
- an arm and a leg — If you say that something costs an arm and a leg, you mean that it is very expensive.
- boast — If someone boasts about something that they have done or that they own, they talk about it very proudly, in a way that other people may find irritating or offensive.
- flamboyance — strikingly bold or brilliant; showy: flamboyant colors.
- garishness — crudely or tastelessly colorful, showy, or elaborate, as clothes or decoration.
- grandstand play — an ostentatious play, as in a sport, overemphasized deliberately to elicit applause from spectators.
- heroics — Also, heroical. of, relating to, or characteristic of a hero or heroine.
- circumscribed — to draw a line around; encircle: to circumscribe a city on a map.
- esthetic — Alternative spelling of aesthetic.
- euphuistic — Of or pertaining to euphuism.
- exclusive — An item or story published or broadcast by only one source.
- exclusory — Having the power or the function of excluding.
Top questions with swank
- how old is hilary swank?
- what does swank mean?
- how tall is hilary swank?
- who is hilary swank married to?
- who is hilary swank?
- what is swank?
- hilary swank how tall?
- who is hilary swank married too?
- where is hilary swank now?
- what does the word swank mean?
- who is hilary swank dating?
- what is hilary swank doing now?
- what happened to hillary swank?
- where is hilary swank from?
- what is a swank?
- Words starting with s
- Words starting with sw
- Words starting with swa
- Words starting with swan
- Words starting with swank
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,w
- Words containing the letters s,w,a
- Words containing the letters s,w,a,n
- Words containing the letters s,w,a,n,k
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?