- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of shun word
- verb with object shun to keep away from (a place, person, object, etc.), from motives of dislike, caution, etc.; take pains to avoid. 1
- noun shun Wade-Giles, Pinyin. a legendary emperor of China who, with his successor (Shun) was a paragon of good government. 1
- transitive verb shun avoid sb 1
- transitive verb shun avoid sth 1
- verb shun If you shun someone or something, you deliberately avoid them or keep away from them. 0
- verb shun to avoid deliberately; keep away from 0
Information block about the term
Origin of shun
First appearance:before 950
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 950; Middle English shunen, Old English scunian to avoid, fear
Parts of speech for Shun
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 85% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
shun usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for shun
- abstain — If you abstain from something, usually something you want to do, you deliberately do not do it.
- avoid — If you avoid something unpleasant that might happen, you take action in order to prevent it from happening.
- be off — leave
- beat around the bush — to talk around a subject without getting to the point
- beg off — to ask to be released from an engagement, obligation, etc
Antonyms for shun
- abide — to tolerate; put up with
- accost — If someone accosts another person, especially a stranger, they stop them or go up to them and speak to them in a way that seems rude or threatening.
- address — Your address is the number of the house, flat, or apartment and the name of the street and the town where you live or work.
- administer — If someone administers something such as a country, the law, or a test, they take responsibility for organizing and supervising it.
- adopt — If you adopt a new attitude, plan, or way of behaving, you begin to have it.
Top questions with shun
- what does shun mean?
- how old is fik shun?
- what is shun?
- how to sharpen shun knives?
- how to sharpen shun knives video?
- what does shun mean in japanese?
- how tall is fik shun?
- how to sharpen a shun knife?
- why do people shun me?
- what does it mean to shun someone?
- shun how lee md?
- what is fik shun doing now?
- who makes shun knives?
- where to buy shun knives?
- why do people shun others?
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,h
- Words containing the letters s,h,u
- Words containing the letters s,h,u,n