- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of shrouded word
- noun shrouded a cloth or sheet in which a corpse is wrapped for burial. 1
- noun shrouded something that covers or conceals like a garment: a shroud of rain. 1
- noun shrouded Nautical. any of a number of taut ropes or wires converging from both sides on the head of a lower or upper mast of the outer end of a bowsprit to steady it against lateral sway: a part of the standing rigging. 1
- noun shrouded Also called shroud line. Aeronautics. any of a number of suspension cords of a parachute attaching the load to the canopy. 1
- noun shrouded Also called shrouding. Machinery. (on a nonmetallic gear) an extended metal rim enclosing the ends of the teeth on either side. (on a water wheel) one of two rings of boards or plates enclosing the buckets at their ends. 1
- noun shrouded Rocketry. a cone-shaped shield that protects the payload of a launch vehicle. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of shrouded
First appearance:before 1000
One of the 6% oldest English words
before 1000; (noun) Middle English; Old English scrūd; cognate with Old Norse skrūth; akin to shred; (v.) Middle English shrouden, derivative of the noun; replacing Middle English shriden, Old English scrȳdan, derivative of scrūd
Parts of speech for Shrouded
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 79% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
shrouded usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for shrouded
- backdoor — You can use backdoor to describe an action or process if you disapprove of it because you think it has been done in a secret, indirect, or dishonest way.
- concealed — to hide; withdraw or remove from observation; cover or keep from sight: He concealed the gun under his coat.
- conspiratorial — If someone does something such as speak or smile in a conspiratorial way, they do it in a way that suggests they are sharing a secret with someone.
- covert — Covert activities or situations are secret or hidden.
- dewy — Something that is dewy is wet with dew.
- antique — An antique is an old object such as a piece of china or furniture which is valuable because of its beauty or rarity.
- canopy — A canopy is a decorated cover, often made of cloth, which is placed above something such as a bed or a seat.
- carpet — A carpet is a thick covering of soft material which is laid over a floor or a staircase.
- cork — Cork is a soft, light substance which forms the bark of a type of Mediterranean tree.
- curtain — Curtains are large pieces of material which you hang from the top of a window.
- cached — Simple past tense and past participle of cache.
- cover — If you cover something, you place something else over it in order to protect it, hide it, or close it.
- curtained — A curtained window, door, or other opening has a curtain hanging across it.
- dissembled — Simple past tense and past participle of dissemble.
- eclipsed — Astronomy. the obscuration of the light of the moon by the intervention of the earth between it and the sun (lunar eclipse) or the obscuration of the light of the sun by the intervention of the moon between it and a point on the earth (solar eclipse) a similar phenomenon with respect to any other planet and either its satellite or the sun. the partial or complete interception of the light of one component of a binary star by the other.
- mantled — Simple past tense and past participle of mantle.
Antonyms for shrouded
- loose — free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.
Top questions with shrouded
- what does shrouded mean?
- what is shrouded?
- how to get ancient shrouded armor skyrim?
- what does the word shrouded mean?
- what is the definition of shrouded?
- what is a shrouded barrel?
- how to get ancient shrouded armor?
- Words starting with s
- Words starting with sh
- Words starting with shr
- Words starting with shro
- Words starting with shrou
- Words starting with shroud
- Words starting with shroude
- Words starting with shrouded
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,h
- Words containing the letters s,h,r
- Words containing the letters s,h,r,o
- Words containing the letters s,h,r,o,u
- Words containing the letters s,h,r,o,u,d