- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of showboat word
- noun showboat a boat, especially a paddle-wheel steamer, used as a traveling theater. 1
- noun showboat Informal. show-off (def 1). 1
- noun showboat a person, especially an athlete, who performs in an ostentatiously sensational manner calculated to draw attention; show-off. 1
- verb without object showboat to perform or behave in an outrageous or spectacular manner. 1
- noun showboat riverboat with theatrical performances 1
- intransitive verb showboat draw attention to oneself, behave ostentatiously 1
Information block about the term
Origin of showboat
First appearance:before 1865
One of the 28% newest English words
An Americanism dating back to 1865-70; show + boat
Parts of speech for Showboat
A pretty common term. Usually people know it’s meaning, but prefer to use a more spread out synonym. About 53% of English native speakers know the meaning and use word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
showboat usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for showboat
- arrayal — the act or process of arraying
- bravura — If you say that someone is doing something with bravura, you mean that they are using unnecessary extra actions that emphasize their skill or importance.
- bravure — Music. a florid passage or piece requiring great skill and spirit in the performer.
- crowd pleaser — a person, performance, etc., having great popular appeal.
- display — to show or exhibit; make visible: to display a sign.
- awe — Awe is the feeling of respect and amazement that you have when you are faced with something wonderful and often rather frightening.
- blow away — If you say that you are blown away by something, or if it blows you away, you mean that you are very impressed by it.
- blow smoke — (Idiomatic) To speak with a lack of credibility, sense, purpose, or truth; to speak nonsense.
- bludgeoned — a short, heavy club with one end weighted, or thicker and heavier than the other.
- bludgeoning — a short, heavy club with one end weighted, or thicker and heavier than the other.
Antonyms for showboat
Top questions with showboat
- who wrote showboat?
- why do i love you showboat?
- how to showboat in madden 25 xbox 360?
- who wrote the music for showboat?
- who sang for ava gardner in showboat?
- who composed showboat?
- how do you showboat in madden 25 xbox 360?
- what is a showboat?
- when was showboat written?
- who sang ol man river in showboat?
- who sang old man river in the movie showboat?
- why do i love you lyrics showboat?
- what does showboat mean?
- who sang old man river in showboat?
- what is showboat?
- Words starting with s
- Words starting with sh
- Words starting with sho
- Words starting with show
- Words starting with showb
- Words starting with showbo
- Words starting with showboa
- Words starting with showboat
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,h
- Words containing the letters s,h,o
- Words containing the letters s,h,o,w
- Words containing the letters s,h,o,w,b
- Words containing the letters s,h,o,w,b,a