- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of ship word
- noun ship a romantic relationship between fictional characters, especially one that people discuss, write about, or take an interest in, whether or not the romance actually exists in the original book, show, etc.: popular ships in fan fiction. 1
- verb with object ship to put or take on board a ship or other means of transportation; to send or transport by ship, rail, truck, plane, etc. 1
- verb with object ship Nautical. to take in (water) over the side, as a vessel does when waves break over it. 1
- verb with object ship to bring (an object) into a ship or boat. 1
- verb with object ship to engage (someone) for service on a ship. 1
- verb with object ship to fix in a ship or boat in the proper place for use. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of ship
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; (noun) Middle English; Old English scip; cognate with Dutch schip, German Schiff, Old Norse, Gothic skip; (v.) Middle English s(c)hip(p)en, derivative of the noun
Parts of speech for Ship
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
ship usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for ship
- address — Your address is the number of the house, flat, or apartment and the name of the street and the town where you live or work.
- bottom out — If a trend such as a fall in prices bottoms out, it stops getting worse or decreasing, and remains at a particular level or amount.
- carried away — to take or support from one place to another; convey; transport: He carried her for a mile in his arms. This elevator cannot carry more than ten people.
- carry away — to remove forcefully
- carry off — If you carry something off, you do it successfully.
- aerialist — a trapeze artist or tightrope walker
- aeronaut — a person who flies in a lighter-than-air craft, esp the pilot or navigator
- aeroplane — An aeroplane is a vehicle with wings and one or more engines that enable it to fly through the air.
- airbus — An Airbus is an aeroplane which is designed to carry a large number of passengers for fairly short distances.
- airliner — An airliner is a large aeroplane that is used for carrying passengers.
Top questions with ship
- what does i ship it mean?
- what is ship lap?
- how to ship a package?
- how much do it cost to ship a car?
- how much does it cost to ship a car?
- how much to ship a car?
- what does ship mean?
- how to draw a ship?
- how to ship a dog?
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,h
- Words containing the letters s,h,i
- Words containing the letters s,h,i,p