- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of shine word
- verb without object shine to give forth or glow with light; shed or cast light. 1
- verb without object shine to be bright with reflected light; glisten; sparkle. 1
- verb without object shine (of light) to appear brightly or strongly, especially uncomfortably so: Wear dark glasses so the sun won't shine in your eyes. 1
- verb without object shine to be or appear unusually animated or bright, as the eyes or face. 1
- verb without object shine to appear with brightness or clearness, as feelings. 1
- verb without object shine to excel or be conspicuous: to shine in school. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of shine
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English s(c)hinen (v.), Old English scīnan; cognate with Dutch schijnen, German scheinen, Old Norse skīna, Gothic skeinan
Parts of speech for Shine
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 92% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
shine usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for shine
- adoration — Adoration is a feeling of great admiration and love for someone or something.
- affection — If you regard someone or something with affection, you like them and are fond of them.
- arrayal — the act or process of arraying
- attachment — If you have an attachment to someone or something, you are fond of them or loyal to them.
- be good — do not misbehave
- beam — If you say that someone is beaming, you mean that they have a big smile on their face because they are happy, pleased, or proud about something.
- bear fruit — plant: produce fruit
- blaze — When a fire blazes, it burns strongly and brightly.
- branch out — If a person or an organization branches out, they do something that is different from their normal activities or work.
Top questions with shine
- how to shine shoes?
- how to shine shoe?
- look at the stars look how they shine for you?
- how to shine boots?
- why does the moon shine?
- when the lights all shine?
- what causes the moon to shine?
- they might be giants why does the sun shine?
- how to make laminate wood floors shine?
- how to make laminate countertops shine?
- when the sun shines we ll shine together?
- how to make laminate floors shine again?
- look at the stars how they shine for you?
- how to make ceramic tile shine?
- what makes a star shine?
- Words starting with s
- Words starting with sh
- Words starting with shi
- Words starting with shin
- Words starting with shine
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,h
- Words containing the letters s,h,i
- Words containing the letters s,h,i,n
- Words containing the letters s,h,i,n,e