- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of share word
- noun share a plowshare. 1
- verb with object share to divide and distribute in shares; apportion. 1
- verb with object share to use, participate in, enjoy, receive, etc., jointly: The two chemists shared the Nobel prize. 1
- verb with object share Digital Technology. to give specific users access to (online content), as by posting it on a social media website or sending it as an email attachment: to share photos on Instagram; a shared spreadsheet. 1
- verb without object share to have a share or part; take part (often followed by in). 1
- verb without object share to divide, apportion, or receive equally. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of share
First appearance:before 1325
One of the 16% oldest English words
1325-75; Middle English (noun) “cutting, division”; Old English scearu “fork of the body, groin”; cognate with Dutch schaar, German Schar “troop.” See shear
Parts of speech for Share
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
share usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for share
- adjustment — An adjustment is a small change that is made to something such as a machine or a way of doing something.
- allocation — An allocation is an amount of something, especially money, that is given to a particular person or used for a particular purpose.
- allotment — In Britain, an allotment is a small area of land in a town which a person rents to grow plants and vegetables on.
- allowance — An allowance is money that is given to someone, usually on a regular basis, in order to help them pay for the things that they need.
- annuity — An annuity is an investment or insurance policy that pays someone a fixed sum of money each year.
- admeasure — to measure out (land, etc) as a share; apportion
- allocate — If one item or share of something is allocated to a particular person or for a particular purpose, it is given to that person or used for that purpose.
- allot — If something is allotted to someone, it is given to them as their share.
- ante up — If you ante up an amount of money, you pay your share, sometimes unwillingly.
Antonyms for share
- bogart — to monopolize or keep (something, esp a marijuana cigarette) to oneself selfishly
- bogarted — to take an unfair share of (something); keep for oneself instead of sharing: Are you gonna bogart that joint all night?
- collect — If you collect a number of things, you bring them together from several places or from several people.
- congressed — (initial capital letter) the national legislative body of the U.S., consisting of the Senate, or upper house, and the House of Representatives, or lower house, as a continuous institution. this body as it exists for a period of two years during which it has the same membership: the Ninety-Seventh Congress. a session of this body: to speak in Congress.
- congressing — (initial capital letter) the national legislative body of the U.S., consisting of the Senate, or upper house, and the House of Representatives, or lower house, as a continuous institution. this body as it exists for a period of two years during which it has the same membership: the Ninety-Seventh Congress. a session of this body: to speak in Congress.
Top questions with share
- how to share location on iphone?
- how to family share on steam?
- how to share calendar on iphone?
- how to share google calendar?
- how to share amazon prime?
- how to share games on steam?
- how to share kindle books?
- how to share a google calendar?
- how to calculate earnings per share?
- how to share screen on skype?
- how to share a video on instagram?
- what is market share?
- how to share books on kindle?
- how to share outlook calendar?
- how to share games on xbox one?
- Words starting with s
- Words starting with sh
- Words starting with sha
- Words starting with shar
- Words starting with share
- Words containing the letters s
- Words containing the letters s,h
- Words containing the letters s,h,a
- Words containing the letters s,h,a,r
- Words containing the letters s,h,a,r,e