- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈɔr dər li/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈɔr dər li/
Definitions of orderly word
- adjective orderly arranged or disposed in a neat, tidy manner or in a regular sequence: an orderly desk. 1
- adjective orderly observant of or governed by system or method, as persons or the mind. 1
- adjective orderly characterized by or observant of law, rule, or discipline; well-behaved; law-abiding: an orderly assemblage of citizens. 1
- adjective orderly pertaining to or charged with the communication or execution of orders. 1
- adverb orderly methodically; regularly. 1
- adverb orderly according to established order or rule. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of orderly
First appearance:before 1470
One of the 25% oldest English words
1470-80 as adv.; 1570-80 as adj.; 1795-1805 as noun; order + -ly
Parts of speech for Orderly
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 95% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
orderly usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for orderly
- precise — definitely or strictly stated, defined, or fixed: precise directions.
- scientific — of or relating to science or the sciences: scientific studies.
- businesslike — If you describe someone as businesslike, you mean that they deal with things in an efficient way without wasting time.
- tidy — neat, orderly, or trim, as in appearance or dress: a tidy room; a tidy person.
- thorough — executed without negligence or omissions: a thorough search.
- adeptly — very skilled; proficient; expert: an adept juggler.
- befittingly — suitable; proper; becoming: planned with a befitting sense of majesty.
- successively — following in order or in uninterrupted sequence; consecutive: three successive days.
- formally — in a formal manner: The store was formally opened on Tuesday.
- fastidiously — excessively particular, critical, or demanding; hard to please: a fastidious eater.
- attendant — An attendant is someone whose job is to serve or help people in a place such as a petrol station, a car park, or a cloakroom.
- just so — guided by truth, reason, justice, and fairness: We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.
- apple-pie order — perfect order or condition
- arranged — If you say how things are arranged, you are talking about their position in relation to each other or to something else.
- methodical — performed, disposed, or acting in a systematic way; systematic; orderly: a methodical person.
- logical — according to or agreeing with the principles of logic: a logical inference.
- organised — to form as or into a whole consisting of interdependent or coordinated parts, especially for united action: to organize a committee.
- organized — affiliated in an organization, especially a union: organized dockworkers.
Antonyms for orderly
- disorganized — functioning without adequate order, systemization, or planning; uncoordinated: a woefully disorganized enterprise.
- chaotic — Something that is chaotic is in a state of complete disorder and confusion.
- sloppy — muddy, slushy, or very wet: The field was a sloppy mess after the rain.
- slovenly — untidy or unclean in appearance or habits.
- inconsistent — lacking in harmony between the different parts or elements; self-contradictory: an inconsistent story.
Top questions with orderly
- what does orderly mean?
- what is orderly?
- what is an orderly?
- what is an orderly job description?
- what is a medical orderly?
- what does an orderly do?
- what is a court orderly?
- how much does an orderly make?
- what does being orderly mean?
- what is an orderly at a hospital?
- what does orderly fashion mean?
- what is a hospital orderly?
- what does an orderly do in a hospital?
- what is a orderly?
- what does a hospital orderly do?
- Words starting with o
- Words starting with or
- Words starting with ord
- Words starting with orde
- Words starting with order
- Words starting with orderl
- Words starting with orderly
- Words containing the letters o
- Words containing the letters o,r
- Words containing the letters o,r,d
- Words containing the letters o,r,d,e
- Words containing the letters o,r,d,e,l
- Words containing the letters o,r,d,e,l,y