- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of oppressed word
- verb with object oppressed to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism. 1
- verb with object oppressed to lie heavily upon (the mind, a person, etc.): Care and sorrow oppressed them. 1
- verb with object oppressed to weigh down, as sleep or weariness does. 1
- verb with object oppressed Archaic. to put down; subdue or suppress. 1
- verb with object oppressed Archaic. to press upon or against; crush. 1
- noun oppressed Subject to harsh and authoritarian treatment. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of oppressed
First appearance:before 1300
One of the 15% oldest English words
1300-50; Middle English oppressen < Middle French oppresser < Medieval Latin oppressāre, derivative of Latin oppressus past participle of opprimere to squeeze, suffocate, equivalent to op- op- + -primere (combining form of premere) to press1
Parts of speech for Oppressed
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 90% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
oppressed usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for oppressed
- burdened — If you are burdened with something, it causes you a lot of worry or hard work.
- worried — having or characterized by worry; concerned; anxious: Their worried parents called the police.
- troubled — to disturb the mental calm and contentment of; worry; distress; agitate.
- overloaded — to load to excess; overburden: Don't overload the raft or it will sink.
- fraught — Archaic. filled or laden (with): ships fraught with precious wares.
Antonyms for oppressed
- untroubled — without trouble, discomfort, or disturbance: an easy, untroubled life; He was untroubled by daily setbacks.
Top questions with oppressed
- what does oppressed mean?
- what does oppressed mean in the bible?
- what does it mean to be oppressed?
- what does oppressed?
- what is oppressed?
- what is the meaning of oppressed?
- what does the word oppressed mean?
- ways in which women are oppressed?
- why are women oppressed?
- why are muslim women oppressed?
- why women are oppressed?
- how are women oppressed?
- healing all who were oppressed by the devil?
- who are the blind poor captives oppressed today?
- what is an oppressed group?
- Words starting with o
- Words starting with op
- Words starting with opp
- Words starting with oppr
- Words starting with oppre
- Words starting with oppres
- Words starting with oppress
- Words starting with oppresse
- Words starting with oppressed
- Words containing the letters o
- Words containing the letters o,p
- Words containing the letters o,p,r
- Words containing the letters o,p,r,e
- Words containing the letters o,p,r,e,s
- Words containing the letters o,p,r,e,s,d