- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of lounge word
- verb without object lounge to pass time idly and indolently. 1
- verb without object lounge to rest or recline indolently; loll: We lounged in the sun all afternoon. 1
- verb without object lounge to go or move in a leisurely, indolent manner; saunter (usually followed by around, along, off, etc.). 1
- verb with object lounge to pass (time) in lounging (usually followed by away or out): to lounge away the afternoon. 1
- noun lounge a sofa for reclining, sometimes backless, having a headrest at one end. 1
- noun lounge a place for sitting, waiting, smoking, etc., especially a large public room, as in a hotel, theater, or air terminal, often with adjoining washrooms. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of lounge
First appearance:before 1500
One of the 26% oldest English words
First recorded in 1500-10; origin uncertain
Parts of speech for Lounge
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
lounge usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for lounge
- sprawl — to be stretched or spread out in an unnatural or ungraceful manner: The puppy's legs sprawled in all directions.
- relax — to make less tense, rigid, or firm; make lax: to relax the muscles.
- recline — to lean or lie back; rest in a recumbent position.
- loll — to recline or lean in a relaxed, lazy, or indolent manner; lounge: to loll on a sofa.
- idle — not working or active; unemployed; doing nothing: idle workers.
- living room — a room in a home used, especially by a family, for leisure activities, entertaining guests, etc.; parlor.
- drawing room — a formal reception room, especially in an apartment or private house.
- sitting room — a small living room, often one that forms part of a suite in a hotel, private house, etc.
- family room — a room in a house used as a center for family activities.
- salon — a drawing room or reception room in a large house.
Antonyms for lounge
Top questions with lounge
- what is lounge?
- what is a hookah lounge?
- why not lounge?
- what is a lounge?
- what does lounge mean?
- Words starting with l
- Words starting with lo
- Words starting with lou
- Words starting with loun
- Words starting with loung
- Words starting with lounge
- Words containing the letters l
- Words containing the letters l,o
- Words containing the letters l,o,u
- Words containing the letters l,o,u,n
- Words containing the letters l,o,u,n,g
- Words containing the letters l,o,u,n,g,e
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?