- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of leave word
- verb with object leave to go out of or away from, as a place: to leave the house. 1
- verb with object leave to depart from permanently; quit: to leave a job. 1
- verb with object leave to let remain or have remaining behind after going, disappearing, ceasing, etc.: I left my wallet home. The wound left a scar. 1
- verb with object leave to allow to remain in the same place, condition, etc.: Is there any coffee left? 1
- verb with object leave to let stay or be as specified: to leave a door unlocked. 1
- verb with object leave to let (a person or animal) remain in a position to do something without interference: We left him to his work. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of leave
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English leven, Old English lǣfan (causative formation from base of lāf remainder; see lave2); cognate with Old High German leiban (compare German bleiben to remain), Old Norse leifa, Gothic -laibjan
Parts of speech for Leave
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 98% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
leave usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for leave
- fly — to move through the air using wings.
- quit — to stop, cease, or discontinue: She quit what she was doing to help me paint the house.
- take off — the act of taking.
- move — to pass from one place or position to another.
- retire — a movement in which the dancer brings one foot to the knee of the supporting leg and then returns it to the fifth position.
- residue — something that remains after a part is removed, disposed of, or used; remainder; rest; remnant.
- balance — If you balance something somewhere, or if it balances there, it remains steady and does not fall.
- legacy — legacy system
- surplus — something that remains above what is used or needed.
- rest — a support for a lance; lance rest.
- begone — go away!
- offed — so as to be no longer supported or attached: This button is about to come off.
- offing — the state or fact of being off.
- outs — away from, or not in, the normal or usual place, position, state, etc.: out of alphabetical order; to go out to dinner.
- skiddoo — to go away; get out.
Antonyms for leave
- remain — to continue in the same state; continue to be as specified: to remain at peace.
- complete — You use complete to emphasize that something is as great in extent, degree, or amount as it possibly can be.
- come in — If information, a report, or a telephone call comes in, it is received.
- face — the front part of the head, from the forehead to the chin.
- stay — (of a ship) to change to the other tack.
- core — The core of a fruit is the central part of it. It contains seeds or pips.
- base — The base of something is its lowest edge or part.
- denial — A denial of something is a statement that it is not true, does not exist, or did not happen.
- difference — the state or relation of being different; dissimilarity: There is a great difference between the two.
- disagreement — the act, state, or fact of disagreeing.
Top questions with leave
- this is where i leave you?
- when did the rams leave la?
- why did alexandra krosney leave last man standing?
- how does fat leave the body?
- cast of this is where i leave you?
- if you loved me why d you leave me?
- why good employees leave?
- why did elliot leave svu?
- why did steve carell leave the office?
- why did ziva leave ncis?
- when does obama leave office?
- why did jj leave criminal minds?
- why did chad michael murray leave one tree hill?
- this is where i leave you cast?
- how long is maternity leave?
- Words starting with l
- Words starting with le
- Words starting with lea
- Words starting with leav
- Words starting with leave
- Words containing the letters l
- Words containing the letters l,e
- Words containing the letters l,e,a
- Words containing the letters l,e,a,v