- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of heaps word
- noun heaps a group of things placed, thrown, or lying one on another; pile: a heap of stones. 1
- noun heaps Informal. a great quantity or number; multitude: a heap of people. 1
- noun heaps Slang. an automobile, especially a dilapidated one. 1
- verb with object heaps to gather, put, or cast in a heap; pile (often followed by up, on, together, etc.). 1
- verb with object heaps to accumulate or amass (often followed by up or together): to heap up riches. 1
- verb with object heaps to give, assign, or bestow in great quantity; load (often followed by on or upon): to heap blessings upon someone; to heap someone with work. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of heaps
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; 1925-30 for def 3; Middle English heep, Old English hēap; cognate with Dutch hoop, Old High German houf; akin to German Haufe
Parts of speech for Heaps
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 95% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
heaps usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for heaps
- tons — a unit of weight, equivalent to 2000 pounds (0.907 metric ton) avoirdupois (short ton) in the U.S. and 2240 pounds (1.016 metric tons) avoirdupois (long ton) in Great Britain.
- much — great in quantity, measure, or degree: too much cake.
- miles — Also called statute mile. a unit of distance on land in English-speaking countries equal to 5280 feet, or 1760 yards (1.609 kilometers).
- multitudinous — forming a multitude or great number; existing, occurring, or present in great numbers; very numerous.
- mega — Extremely.
- loads — anything put in or on something for conveyance or transportation; freight; cargo: The truck carried a load of watermelons.
- numberless — innumerable; countless; myriad.
- no end — the last part or extremity, lengthwise, of anything that is longer than it is wide or broad: the end of a street; the end of a rope.
- a lot — lot (def 14).
Antonyms for heaps
- debts — Plural form of debt.
- ditches — Plural form of ditch.
- needs — of necessity; necessarily (usually preceded or followed by must): It must needs be so. It needs must be.
- ones — being or amounting to a single unit or individual or entire thing, item, or object rather than two or more; a single: one woman; one nation; one piece of cake.
- parts — a portion or division of a whole that is separate or distinct; piece, fragment, fraction, or section; constituent: the rear part of the house; to glue the two parts together.
Top questions with heaps
- how to get heaps of instagram followers?
- how to get heaps of followers on instagram cheat?
- what are heaps?
- how do you get heaps of followers on instagram?
- how to cum heaps?
- what does thanks heaps mean?
- what does heaps mean in australia?
- how to make heaps of money?
- what is heaps?
- what heaps means?
- how to get heaps of followers on instagram?
- how to get heaps of twitter followers?
- how to get heaps of subscribers on youtube?
- Words starting with h
- Words starting with he
- Words starting with hea
- Words starting with heap
- Words starting with heaps
- Words containing the letters h
- Words containing the letters h,e
- Words containing the letters h,e,a
- Words containing the letters h,e,a,p
- Words containing the letters h,e,a,p,s
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?