gentlemen's agreementG g
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of gentlemen's agreement words
- noun gentlemen's agreement an agreement that, although unenforceable at law, is binding as a matter of personal honor. 1
- noun gentlemen's agreement an unwritten agreement by a socially prominent clique, private club, etc., to discriminate against or refuse to accept members of certain religious, racial, national, or other groups. 1
- noun gentlemen's agreement a personal understanding or arrangement based on honour and not legally binding 0
- noun gentlemen's agreement an unwritten agreement secured only by the parties' pledge of honor and not legally binding 0
- noun gentlemen's agreement such an agreement to discriminate against members of certain minority groups 0
Information block about the term
Origin of gentlemen's agreement
First appearance:before 1885
One of the 21% newest English words
An Americanism dating back to 1885-90
Parts of speech for Gentlemen's agreement
gentlemen's agreement popularity
This term is known only to a narrow circle of people with rare knowledge. Only 1% of English native speakers know the meaning of this word.
According to our data most of word are more popular. This word is almost not used. It has a much more popular synonym.
Synonyms for gentlemen's agreement
noun gentlemen's agreement
- bond — A bond between people is a strong feeling of friendship, love, or shared beliefs and experiences that unites them.
- contract — A contract is a legal agreement, usually between two companies or between an employer and employee, which involves doing work for a stated sum of money.
- deal — If you say that you need or have a great deal of or a good deal of a particular thing, you are emphasizing that you need or have a lot of it.
- pact — an agreement, covenant, or compact: We made a pact not to argue any more.
- pledge — a solemn promise or agreement to do or refrain from doing something: a pledge of aid; a pledge not to wage war.
- Words starting with g
- Words starting with ge
- Words starting with gen
- Words starting with gent
- Words starting with gentl
- Words starting with gentle
- Words starting with gentlem
- Words starting with gentleme
- Words starting with gentlemen
- Words starting with gentlemens
- Words starting with gentlemensa
- Words starting with gentlemensag
- Words starting with gentlemensagr
- Words starting with gentlemensagre
- Words containing the letters g
- Words containing the letters g,e
- Words containing the letters g,e,n
- Words containing the letters g,e,n,t
- Words containing the letters g,e,n,t,l
- Words containing the letters g,e,n,t,l,m