- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of friend word
- noun friend a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard. 1
- noun friend a person who gives assistance; patron; supporter: friends of the Boston Symphony. 1
- noun friend a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile: Who goes there? Friend or foe? 1
- noun friend a member of the same nation, party, etc. 1
- noun friend (initial capital letter) a member of the Religious Society of Friends; a Quaker. 1
- noun friend a person associated with another as a contact on a social media website: We've never met, but we're Facebook friends. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of friend
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; Middle English friend, frend, Old English frēond “friend, lover, relative” (cognate with Old Saxon friund, Old High German friunt (German Freund), Gothic frijōnds), originally the present participle of frēogan, cognate with Gothic frijōn “to love”
Parts of speech for Friend
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
friend usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for friend
- colleague — Your colleagues are the people you work with, especially in a professional job.
- acquaintance — An acquaintance is someone who you have met and know slightly, but not well.
- buddy — A buddy is a close friend, usually a male friend of a man.
- associate — If you associate someone or something with another thing, the two are connected in your mind.
- companion — A companion is someone who you spend time with or who you are travelling with.
Antonyms for friend
- antagonist — Your antagonist is your opponent or enemy.
- opponent — a person who is on an opposing side in a game, contest, controversy, or the like; adversary.
- stranger — French L'Étranger. a novel (1942) by Albert Camus.
- foe — a person who feels enmity, hatred, or malice toward another; enemy: a bitter foe.
- detractor — The detractors of a person or thing are people who criticize that person or thing.
Top questions with friend
- how to win friend and influence people?
- what a friend we have in jesus?
- that's what friend are for?
- what does friend mean?
- heard it from a friend who?
- what a friend we have in jesus-lyrics?
- what a friend we have in jesus+lyrics?
- how to get out of the friend zone?
- what a friend we have in jesus' lyrics?
- how to send a friend request on facebook?
- when you miss your best friend?
- what a friend we have in jesus lyrics?
- how to make friend and influence people?
- what is a friend?
- when is national friend day?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fr
- Words starting with fri
- Words starting with frie
- Words starting with frien
- Words starting with friend
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,r
- Words containing the letters f,r,i
- Words containing the letters f,r,i,e
- Words containing the letters f,r,i,e,n
- Words containing the letters f,r,i,e,n,d
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?