- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definition of filibustering word
- noun filibustering Present participle of filibuster. 1
Information block about the term
Parts of speech for Filibustering
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
According to our data about 53% of words is more used. This is a rare but used term. It occurs in the pages of specialized literature and in the speech of educated people.
filibustering usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for filibustering
- obstructionism — a person who deliberately delays or prevents progress.
- adjourn — If a meeting or trial is adjourned or if it adjourns, it is stopped for a short time.
- bar — A bar is a place where you can buy and drink alcoholic drinks.
- block — A block of flats or offices is a large building containing them.
- defer — If you defer an event or action, you arrange for it to happen at a later date, rather than immediately or at the previously planned time.
- detain — When people such as the police detain someone, they keep them in a place under their control.
Antonyms for filibustering
- abandon — If you abandon a place, thing, or person, you leave the place, thing, or person permanently or for a long time, especially when you should not do so.
- advance — To advance means to move forward, often in order to attack someone.
- aid — Aid is money, equipment, or services that are provided for people, countries, or organizations who need them but cannot provide them for themselves.
- allow — If someone is allowed to do something, it is all right for them to do it and they will not get into trouble.
- assist — If you assist someone, you help them to do a job or task by doing part of the work for them.
Top questions with filibustering
- what is filibustering?
- what does filibustering mean?
- what is filibustering in the senate?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fi
- Words starting with fil
- Words starting with fili
- Words starting with filib
- Words starting with filibu
- Words starting with filibus
- Words starting with filibust
- Words starting with filibuste
- Words starting with filibuster
- Words starting with filibusteri
- Words starting with filibusterin
- Words starting with filibustering
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,i
- Words containing the letters f,i,l
- Words containing the letters f,i,l,b
- Words containing the letters f,i,l,b,u
- Words containing the letters f,i,l,b,u,s
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?