- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fight word
- noun fight a battle or combat. 1
- noun fight any contest or struggle: a fight for recovery from an illness. 1
- noun fight an angry argument or disagreement: Whenever we discuss politics, we end up in a fight. 1
- noun fight Boxing. a bout or contest. 1
- noun fight a game or diversion in which the participants hit or pelt each other with something harmless: a pillow fight; a water fight. 1
- noun fight ability, will, or inclination to fight: There was no fight left in him. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fight
First appearance:before 900
One of the 4% oldest English words
before 900; (v.) Middle English fi(g)hten, Old English fe(o)htan (cognate with German fechten); (noun) Middle English fi(g)ht, Old English feohte, (ge)feoht, derivative of the v. base
Parts of speech for Fight
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 98% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
fight usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fight
- protect — to defend or guard from attack, invasion, loss, annoyance, insult, etc.; cover or shield from injury or danger.
- clash — When people clash, they fight, argue, or disagree with each other.
- challenge — A challenge is something new and difficult which requires great effort and determination.
- resist — to withstand, strive against, or oppose: to resist infection; to resist temptation.
- attack — To attack a person or place means to try to hurt or damage them using physical violence.
- match — a person or thing that equals or resembles another in some respect.
- bout — If you have a bout of an illness or of an unpleasant feeling, you have it for a short period.
- competition — Competition is a situation in which two or more people or groups are trying to get something which not everyone can have.
- round — having a flat, circular surface, as a disk.
- action — Action is doing something for a particular purpose.
Antonyms for fight
- surrender — to yield (something) to the possession or power of another; deliver up possession of on demand or under duress: to surrender the fort to the enemy; to surrender the stolen goods to the police.
- give in — to present voluntarily and without expecting compensation; bestow: to give a birthday present to someone.
- uphold — to support or defend, as against opposition or criticism: He fought the duel to uphold his family's honor.
- yield — to give forth or produce by a natural process or in return for cultivation: This farm yields enough fruit to meet all our needs.
- agree — If people agree with each other about something, they have the same opinion about it or say that they have the same opinion.
- accord — An accord between countries or groups of people is a formal agreement, for example to end a war.
- agreement — An agreement is a formal decision about future action which is made by two or more countries, groups, or people.
- calm — A calm person does not show or feel any worry, anger, or excitement.
- concord — Concord is a state of peaceful agreement.
- harmony — agreement; accord; harmonious relations.
Top questions with fight
- what time is the fight tonight?
- what time is the mayweather pacquiao fight?
- what time is the mayweather fight?
- how to fight?
- what time does the mayweather fight start?
- what time does the fight start tonight?
- what time is mayweather fight?
- who won the mayweather fight?
- who won mayweather fight?
- where to watch the fight?
- who won the fight?
- who won the ronda rousey fight?
- who won the fight last night?
- what time does mayweather fight start?
- how to fight depression?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fi
- Words starting with fig
- Words starting with figh
- Words starting with fight
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,i
- Words containing the letters f,i,g
- Words containing the letters f,i,g,h
- Words containing the letters f,i,g,h,t