- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fierceness word
- adjective fierceness menacingly wild, savage, or hostile: fierce animals; a fierce look. 1
- adjective fierceness violent in force, intensity, etc.: fierce winds. 1
- adjective fierceness furiously eager or intense: fierce competition. 1
- adjective fierceness Informal. extremely bad or severe: a fierce cold. 1
- noun fierceness The state of being fierce. 1
- noun fierceness intensity 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fierceness
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English fiers < Anglo-French fers, Old French fiers (nominative) < Latin ferus wild, fierce; cf. feral1, ferocious
Parts of speech for Fierceness
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 95% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
According to our data about 59% of words is more used. This is a rare but used term. It occurs in the pages of specialized literature and in the speech of educated people.
fierceness usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fierceness
- savagery — an uncivilized or barbaric state or condition; barbarity.
- severity — harshness, sternness, or rigor: Their lives were marked by severity.
- fury — unrestrained or violent anger, rage, passion, or the like: The gods unleashed their fury on the offending mortal.
- barbarity — If you refer to someone's behaviour as barbarity, you strongly disapprove of it because you think that it is extremely cruel.
- violence — swift and intense force: the violence of a storm.
Antonyms for fierceness
- calm — A calm person does not show or feel any worry, anger, or excitement.
- happiness — the quality or state of being happy.
- apathy — You can use apathy to talk about someone's state of mind if you are criticizing them because they do not seem to be interested in or enthusiastic about anything.
- kindness — the state or quality of being kind: kindness to animals.
- peace — the normal, nonwarring condition of a nation, group of nations, or the world.
Top questions with fierceness
- what does fierceness mean?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fi
- Words starting with fie
- Words starting with fier
- Words starting with fierc
- Words starting with fierce
- Words starting with fiercen
- Words starting with fiercene
- Words starting with fiercenes
- Words starting with fierceness
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,i
- Words containing the letters f,i,e
- Words containing the letters f,i,e,r
- Words containing the letters f,i,e,r,c
- Words containing the letters f,i,e,r,c,n