- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fence word
- noun fence a barrier enclosing or bordering a field, yard, etc., usually made of posts and wire or wood, used to prevent entrance, to confine, or to mark a boundary. 1
- noun fence Informal. a person who receives and disposes of stolen goods. 1
- noun fence the place of business of such a person. 1
- noun fence the act, practice, art, or sport of fencing. 1
- noun fence skill in argument, repartee, etc. 1
- noun fence Machinery. a guard or guide, as for regulating the movements of a tool or work. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fence
First appearance:before 1300
One of the 15% oldest English words
1300-50; Middle English fens, aphetic for defens defense
Parts of speech for Fence
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
fence usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fence
- bar — A bar is a place where you can buy and drink alcoholic drinks.
- wall — any of various permanent upright constructions having a length much greater than the thickness and presenting a continuous surface except where pierced by doors, windows, etc.: used for shelter, protection, or privacy, or to subdivide interior space, to support floors, roofs, or the like, to retain earth, to fence in an area, etc.
- rail — any of numerous birds of the family Rallidae, that have short wings, a narrow body, long toes, and a harsh cry and inhabit grasslands, forests, and marshes in most parts of the world.
- dike — a contemptuous term used to refer to a lesbian.
- roadblock — an obstruction placed across a road, especially of barricades or police cars, for halting or hindering traffic, as to facilitate the capture of a pursued car or inspection for safety violations.
- protect — to defend or guard from attack, invasion, loss, annoyance, insult, etc.; cover or shield from injury or danger.
- coop — A coop is a cage where you keep small animals or birds such as chickens and rabbits.
- bound — Bound is the past tense and past participle of bind.
- secure — free from or not exposed to danger or harm; safe.
- immure — to enclose within walls.
Antonyms for fence
- opening — an open or clear space.
- harm — a U.S. air-to-surface missile designed to detect and destroy radar sites by homing on their emissions.
- injure — to do or cause harm of any kind to; damage; hurt; impair: to injure one's hand.
- release — to lease again.
- attack — To attack a person or place means to try to hurt or damage them using physical violence.
- hurt — to cause bodily injury to; injure: He was badly hurt in the accident.
Top questions with fence
- how to make a fence in minecraft?
- how to build a fence?
- how to make fence in minecraft?
- how to craft a fence?
- how to build a wood fence?
- how to install chain link fence?
- how to build a privacy fence?
- how to build a private fence?
- minecraft how to make a fence?
- how do you make a fence in minecraft?
- how to install a chain link fence?
- how much does a fence cost?
- how to make a fence gate in minecraft?
- how to build a fence gate?
- how to make a fence?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fe
- Words starting with fen
- Words starting with fenc
- Words starting with fence
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,e
- Words containing the letters f,e,n
- Words containing the letters f,e,n,c