- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fawn word
- noun fawn a young deer, especially an unweaned one. 1
- noun fawn a light yellowish-brown color. 1
- adjective fawn light yellowish-brown. 1
- verb without object fawn to seek notice or favor by servile demeanor: The courtiers fawned over the king. 1
- verb without object fawn (of a dog) to behave affectionately. 1
- noun fawn A young deer in its first year. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fawn
First appearance:before 1225
One of the 9% oldest English words
1225-75; Middle English fawn, foun < Middle French faon, foun, feon ≪ Vulgar Latin *fētōn-, stem of *fētō offspring, derivative of Latin fētus fetus
Parts of speech for Fawn
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 94% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
fawn usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fawn
- crouch — If you are crouching, your legs are bent under you so that you are close to the ground and leaning forward slightly.
- grovel — to humble oneself or act in an abject manner, as in great fear or utter servility.
- defer — If you defer an event or action, you arrange for it to happen at a later date, rather than immediately or at the previously planned time.
- kowtow — to act in an obsequious manner; show servile deference.
- flatter — to make flat.
- yearling — an animal in its second year.
- hazel — a female given name.
- umber — an earth consisting chiefly of a hydrated oxide of iron and some oxide of manganese, used in its natural state as a brown pigment (raw umber) or, after heating, as a reddish-brown pigment (burnt umber)
- mahogany — any of several tropical American trees of the genus Swietenia, especially S. mahagoni and S. macrophylla, yielding hard, reddish-brown wood used for making furniture.
- puce — of a dark or brownish purple.
- russet — yellowish brown, light brown, or reddish brown.
Antonyms for fawn
- deny — When you deny something, you state that it is not true.
- refuse — to decline to accept (something offered): to refuse an award.
- honor — honesty, fairness, or integrity in one's beliefs and actions: a man of honor.
- ignore — to refrain from noticing or recognizing: to ignore insulting remarks.
- reject — to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.: to reject the offer of a better job.
Top questions with fawn
- what is a fawn?
- what color is fawn?
- what does fawn mean?
- what is fawn?
- how to draw a fawn?
- how to care for a fawn?
- how to use a fawn bleat?
- what is a fawn boxer?
- how long does a doe carry a fawn?
- when do deer fawn?
- what sound does a fawn make?
- how to draw fawn from tinkerbell?
- how to tell how old a fawn is?
- what does the word fawn mean?
- what fawn means?
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,w
- Words containing the letters f,a,w,n