- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of favouritism word
- noun favouritism (British) The unfair favouring of one person or group at the expense of another. 1
- uncountable noun favouritism If you accuse someone of favouritism, you disapprove of them because they unfairly help or favour one person or group much more than another. 0
- noun favouritism the practice of giving special treatment to a person or group 0
- noun favouritism the state of being treated as a favourite 0
- noun favouritism (Britain) The unfair favouring of one person or group at the expense of another. 0
Information block about the term
Parts of speech for Favouritism
A pretty common term. Usually people know it’s meaning, but prefer to use a more spread out synonym. About 55% of English native speakers know the meaning and use word.
According to our data about 62% of words is more used. This is a rare but used term. It occurs in the pages of specialized literature and in the speech of educated people.
favouritism usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for favouritism
- nonpreferentialism — of, relating to, or of the nature of preference: preferential policies.
- preference — the act of preferring.
- partiality — the state or character of being partial.
- nepotism — patronage bestowed or favoritism shown on the basis of family relationship, as in business and politics: She was accused of nepotism when she made her nephew an officer of the firm.
- bias — Bias is a tendency to prefer one person or thing to another, and to favour that person or thing.
- jaundice — Also called icterus. Pathology. yellow discoloration of the skin, whites of the eyes, etc., due to an increase of bile pigments in the blood, often symptomatic of certain diseases, as hepatitis. Compare physiologic jaundice.
- illiberality — narrowminded; bigoted.
- prepossess — to possess or dominate mentally beforehand, as a prejudice does.
- headset — Radio, Telephony. a device consisting of one or two earphones with a headband for holding them over the ears and sometimes with a mouthpiece attached.
Antonyms for favouritism
- impartiality — not partial or biased; fair; just: an impartial judge.
- fairness — the state, condition, or quality of being fair, or free from bias or injustice; evenhandedness: I have to admit, in all fairness, that she would only be paid for part of the work.
- justice — Donald, 1925–2004, U.S. poet.
Top questions with favouritism
- what does favouritism mean?
- how to deal with favouritism at work?
- how to deal with favouritism?
- what is the meaning of favouritism?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with fav
- Words starting with favo
- Words starting with favou
- Words starting with favour
- Words starting with favouri
- Words starting with favourit
- Words starting with favouriti
- Words starting with favouritis
- Words starting with favouritism
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,v
- Words containing the letters f,a,v,o
- Words containing the letters f,a,v,o,u
- Words containing the letters f,a,v,o,u,r
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?