- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈfeɪ vər/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈfeɪ vər/
Definitions of favor word
- noun favor something done or granted out of goodwill, rather than from justice or for remuneration; a kind act: to ask a favor. 1
- noun favor friendly or well-disposed regard; goodwill: to win the favor of the king. 1
- noun favor the state of being approved or held in regard: to be in favor at court; styles that are now in favor. 1
- noun favor excessive kindness or unfair partiality; preferential treatment: to treat some people with favor and others with neglect. 1
- noun favor a gift bestowed as a token of goodwill, kind regard, love, etc., as formerly upon a knight by his lady. 1
- noun favor a ribbon, badge, etc., worn in evidence of goodwill or loyalty, as by an adherent of a political party. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of favor
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English favo(u)r < Anglo-French, Old French < Latin favōr- (stem of favor) goodwill, equivalent to fav(ēre) to be favorably inclined + -ōr- -or1
Parts of speech for Favor
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 99% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
favor usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for favor
- promote — to help or encourage to exist or flourish; further: to promote world peace.
- facilitate — to make easier or less difficult; help forward (an action, a process, etc.): Careful planning facilitates any kind of work.
- advance — To advance means to move forward, often in order to attack someone.
- abet — If one person abets another, they help or encourage them to do something criminal or wrong. Abet is often used in the legal expression 'aid and abet'.
- befriend — If you befriend someone, especially someone who is lonely or far from home, you make friends with them.
- good turn — a helpful and friendly act; good deed; favour
- errand — A short journey undertaken in order to deliver or collect something, often on someone else's behalf.
- kindness — the state or quality of being kind: kindness to animals.
- courtesy — Courtesy is politeness, respect, and consideration for others.
- service — Robert W(illiam) 1874–1958, Canadian writer, born in England.
Antonyms for favor
- frustrate — to make (plans, efforts, etc.) worthless or of no avail; defeat; nullify: The student's indifference frustrated the teacher's efforts to help him.
- hinder — to cause delay, interruption, or difficulty in; hamper; impede: The storm hindered our progress.
- impede — to retard in movement or progress by means of obstacles or hindrances; obstruct; hinder.
- obstruct — to block or close up with an obstacle; make difficult to pass: Debris obstructed the road.
- ignore — to refrain from noticing or recognizing: to ignore insulting remarks.
- disservice — harmful or injurious service; an ill turn.
- disdain — to look upon or treat with contempt; despise; scorn.
- hindrance — an impeding, stopping, preventing, or the like.
- injury — harm or damage that is done or sustained: to escape without injury.
- loss — detriment, disadvantage, or deprivation from failure to keep, have, or get: to bear the loss of a robbery.
Top questions with favor
- what does por favor mean?
- how to deal with parents who favor another sibling?
- which practice did progressives favor?
- why did large states favor the virginia plan?
- what does favor mean?
- which was an argument in favor of u.s. imperialism?
- how do you spell favor?
- which is an argument in favor of affirmative action?
- what is favor?
- which was an argument in favor of us imperialism?
- why did northern industrialists favor protective tariffs?
- what does por favor mean in spanish?
- how to get favor in smite?
- conservatives tend to favor which of the following?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with fav
- Words starting with favo
- Words starting with favor
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,v
- Words containing the letters f,a,v,o
- Words containing the letters f,a,v,o,r