- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fatted word
- adjective fatted having too much flabby tissue; corpulent; obese: a fat person. 1
- adjective fatted plump; well-fed: a good, fat chicken. 1
- adjective fatted consisting of or containing fat; greasy; oily: fat gravy; fat meat. 1
- adjective fatted profitable, as an office: a fat job on the city commission. 1
- adjective fatted affording good opportunities, especially for gain: a fat business contract. 1
- adjective fatted wealthy; prosperous; rich: He grew fat on dishonest profits. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fatted
First appearance:before 1000
One of the 6% oldest English words
before 1000; Middle English; Old English fǣtt, orig. past participle of fǣtan to cram, load, adorn; cognate with Gothic fētjan to adorn; akin to vat
Parts of speech for Fatted
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 100% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
According to our data about 50% of words is more used. This is a rare but used term. It occurs in the pages of specialized literature and in the speech of educated people.
fatted usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fatted
- whale — any of the larger marine mammals of the order Cetacea, especially as distinguished from the smaller dolphins and porpoises, having a fishlike body, forelimbs modified into flippers, and a head that is horizontally flattened.
- sob — to weep with a convulsive catching of the breath.
- wail — to utter a prolonged, inarticulate, mournful cry, usually high-pitched or clear-sounding, as in grief or suffering: to wail with pain.
- swell — to grow in bulk, as by the absorption of moisture or the processes of growth.
- whimper — to cry with low, plaintive, broken sounds.
- overweighted — weighing too much or more than is considered normal, proper, etc.: overweight luggage; an overweight patient; two letters that may be overweight.
- bulled — the male of a bovine animal, especially of the genus Bos, with sexual organs intact and capable of reproduction.
- grossed — without deductions; total, as the amount of sales, salary, profit, etc., before taking deductions for expenses, taxes, or the like (opposed to net2. ): gross earnings; gross sales.
- larded — the rendered fat of hogs, especially the internal fat of the abdomen.
- lushed — drunkard; alcoholic; sot.
Antonyms for fatted
- lacked — deficiency or absence of something needed, desirable, or customary: lack of money; lack of skill.
- needed — necessary, required, or wanted (usually used in combination): a much-needed vacation.
- wanted — to feel a need or a desire for; wish for: to want one's dinner; always wanting something new.
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with fat
- Words starting with fatt
- Words starting with fatte
- Words starting with fatted
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,t
- Words containing the letters f,a,t,e
- Words containing the letters f,a,t,e,d