- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of farfetched word
- adjective farfetched improbable; not naturally pertinent; being only remotely connected; forced; strained: He brought in a far-fetched example in an effort to prove his point. 1
- noun farfetched Alternative spelling of far-fetched. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of farfetched
First appearance:before 1575
One of the 34% oldest English words
First recorded in 1575-85
Parts of speech for Farfetched
A pretty common term. Usually people know it’s meaning, but prefer to use a more spread out synonym. About 37% of English native speakers know the meaning and use word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
farfetched usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for farfetched
- fantastic — conceived or appearing as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination; odd and remarkable; bizarre; grotesque: fantastic rock formations; fantastic designs.
- dubious — doubtful; marked by or occasioning doubt: a dubious reply.
- preposterous — completely contrary to nature, reason, or common sense; absurd; senseless; utterly foolish: a preposterous tale.
- improbable — not probable; unlikely to be true or to happen: Rain is improbable tonight.
- strange — unusual, extraordinary, or curious; odd; queer: a strange remark to make.
- laboured — productive activity, especially for the sake of economic gain.
Antonyms for farfetched
- usual — habitual or customary: her usual skill.
- sensible — having, using, or showing good sense or sound judgment: a sensible young woman.
- believable — Something that is believable makes you think that it could be true or real.
- likely — probably or apparently destined (usually followed by an infinitive): something not likely to happen.
- plausible — having an appearance of truth or reason; seemingly worthy of approval or acceptance; credible; believable: a plausible excuse; a plausible plot.
Top questions with farfetched
- what does farfetched hold?
- what does farfetched mean?
- what does farfetched evolve into?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with far
- Words starting with farf
- Words starting with farfe
- Words starting with farfet
- Words starting with farfetc
- Words starting with farfetch
- Words starting with farfetche
- Words starting with farfetched
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,r
- Words containing the letters f,a,r,e
- Words containing the letters f,a,r,e,t
- Words containing the letters f,a,r,e,t,c