- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fallout word
- noun fallout the settling to the ground of airborne particles ejected into the atmosphere from the earth by explosions, eruptions, forest fires, etc., especially such settling from nuclear explosions (radioactive fallout) Compare rainout. 1
- noun fallout the particles themselves. Compare rainout. 1
- noun fallout an unexpected or incidental effect, outcome, or product: the psychological fallout of being obese. 1
- noun fallout effects; results: emotional fallout from a divorce. 1
- noun fallout Radioactive particles that are carried into the atmosphere after a nuclear explosion or accident and gradually fall back as dust or in precipitation. 1
- noun fallout radioactive dust 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fallout
First appearance:before 1945
One of the 6% newest English words
First recorded in 1945-50; noun use of verb phrase fall out
Parts of speech for Fallout
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 85% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
fallout usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fallout
- radioactive waste — the radioactive by-products from the operation of a nuclear reactor or from the reprocessing of depleted nuclear fuel.
- result — to spring, arise, or proceed as a consequence of actions, circumstances, premises, etc.; be the outcome.
- outcome — a final product or end result; consequence; issue.
- upshot — the final issue, the conclusion, or the result: The upshot of the disagreement was a new bylaw.
- consequence — The consequences of something are the results or effects of it.
Top questions with fallout
- when does fallout 4 come out?
- when is fallout 4 coming out?
- when did fallout 3 come out?
- fallout who vegas?
- what is fallout?
- fallout 3 where is the family?
- what year is fallout 3 set in?
- how to mod fallout new vegas?
- which is better fallout 3 or new vegas?
- fallout 3 where to find dogmeat?
- where is the family fallout 3?
- what year does fallout new vegas take place?
- where are the bobbleheads in fallout 3?
- fallout new vegas how little we know?
- how long to beat fallout 3?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with fal
- Words starting with fall
- Words starting with fallo
- Words starting with fallou
- Words starting with fallout
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,l
- Words containing the letters f,a,l,o
- Words containing the letters f,a,l,o,u
- Words containing the letters f,a,l,o,u,t