- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fainting word
- adjective fainting lacking brightness, vividness, clearness, loudness, strength, etc.: a faint light; a faint color; a faint sound. 1
- adjective fainting feeble or slight: faint resistance; faint praise; a faint resemblance. 1
- adjective fainting feeling weak, dizzy, or exhausted; about to lose consciousness: faint with hunger. 1
- adjective fainting lacking courage; cowardly; timorous: Faint heart never won fair maid. 1
- adjective fainting Law. unfounded: a faint action. 1
- verb without object fainting to lose consciousness temporarily. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fainting
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English < Anglo-French, Old French, past participle of faindre, variant of feindre to feign
Parts of speech for Fainting
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
fainting usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fainting
- sopor — Pathology. a deep, unnatural sleep; lethargy.
- somnolence — sleepy; drowsy.
- blackout — A blackout is a period of time during a war in which towns and buildings are made dark so that they cannot be seen by enemy planes.
- stupor — suspension or great diminution of sensibility, as in disease or as caused by narcotics, intoxicants, etc.: He lay there in a drunken stupor.
- petrifaction — the act or process of petrifying; the state of being petrified.
- dizzying — having a sensation of whirling and a tendency to fall; giddy; vertiginous.
Top questions with fainting
- what causes fainting?
- fainting when standing up?
- what is fainting?
- how to prevent fainting?
- what to do after fainting?
- what does fainting mean?
- what causes fainting spells?
- what can cause fainting?
- what does fainting feel like?
- what is a fainting goat?
- fainting when pregnant?
- why do fainting goats faint?
- what is the medical term for fainting?
- how long can a person go without food before fainting?
- how to recover after fainting?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with fai
- Words starting with fain
- Words starting with faint
- Words starting with fainti
- Words starting with faintin
- Words starting with fainting
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,i
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,n
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,n,t
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,n,t,g
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?