- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of fainted word
- adjective fainted lacking brightness, vividness, clearness, loudness, strength, etc.: a faint light; a faint color; a faint sound. 1
- adjective fainted feeble or slight: faint resistance; faint praise; a faint resemblance. 1
- adjective fainted feeling weak, dizzy, or exhausted; about to lose consciousness: faint with hunger. 1
- adjective fainted lacking courage; cowardly; timorous: Faint heart never won fair maid. 1
- adjective fainted Law. unfounded: a faint action. 1
- verb without object fainted to lose consciousness temporarily. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of fainted
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English < Anglo-French, Old French, past participle of faindre, variant of feindre to feign
Parts of speech for Fainted
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
fainted usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for fainted
- collapsed — Simple past tense and past participle of collapse.
- paled — light-colored or lacking in color: a pale complexion; his pale face; a pale child. lacking the usual intensity of color due to fear, illness, stress, etc.: She looked pale and unwell when we visited her in the nursing home.
- dimmed — not bright; obscure from lack of light or emitted light: a dim room; a dim flashlight.
- dulled — Simple past tense and past participle of dull.
- slighted — small in amount, degree, etc.: a slight increase; a slight odor.
- lit — a simple past tense and past participle of light3 .
Antonyms for fainted
- ascended — to move, climb, or go upward; mount; rise: The airplane ascended into the clouds.
- improved — to bring into a more desirable or excellent condition: He took vitamins to improve his health.
- rose — Remote Operations Service Element
- strengthened — to make stronger; give strength to.
- won — simple past tense and past participle of win1 .
- cleared — Simple past tense and past participle of clear.
- closed — A closed group of people does not welcome new people or ideas from outside.
- firmed — not soft or yielding when pressed; comparatively solid, hard, stiff, or rigid: firm ground; firm texture.
- neared — close; to a point or place not far away: Come near so I won't have to shout.
- smarted — to be a source of sharp, local, and usually superficial pain, as a wound.
Top questions with fainted
- what is the meaning of fainted?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with fai
- Words starting with fain
- Words starting with faint
- Words starting with fainte
- Words starting with fainted
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,i
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,n
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,n,t
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,n,t,e
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?