- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of failsafe word
- adjective failsafe Electronics. pertaining to or noting a mechanism built into a system, as in an early warning system or a nuclear reactor, for insuring safety should the system fail to operate properly. 1
- adjective failsafe equipped with a secondary system that insures continued operation even if the primary system fails. 1
- adjective failsafe (sometimes initial capital letter) of, relating to, or designating a system of coded military controls in which bombers dispatched to a prearranged point as part of a standard operating procedure cannot advance farther without direct orders from a designated authority and cannot have the nuclear warheads they carry armed until they have passed their prearranged point. 1
- adjective failsafe guaranteed to work; totally reliable: a fail-safe recipe for a cheese soufflé. 1
- noun failsafe (sometimes initial capital letter) the point beyond which the bombers cannot go without specific instruction; the fail-safe point. 1
- noun failsafe something designed to work or function automatically to prevent breakdown of a mechanism, system, or the like. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of failsafe
First appearance:before 1945
One of the 6% newest English words
First recorded in 1945-50; apparently from verb phrase to fail safe(ly)
Parts of speech for Failsafe
A pretty common term. Usually people know it’s meaning, but prefer to use a more spread out synonym. About 34% of English native speakers know the meaning and use word.
This word is included in each student's vocabulary. Most likely there is at least one movie with this word in the title.
failsafe usage trend in LiteratureThis diagram is provided by Google Ngram Viewer
Synonyms for failsafe
- sound — The, a strait between SW Sweden and Zealand, connecting the Kattegat and the Baltic. 87 miles (140 km) long; 3–30 miles (5–48 km) wide.
- confident — If you are confident about something, you are certain that it will happen in the way you want it to.
- foolproof — involving no risk or harm, even when tampered with.
- protected — to defend or guard from attack, invasion, loss, annoyance, insult, etc.; cover or shield from injury or danger.
- reliable — that may be relied on or trusted; dependable in achievement, accuracy, honesty, etc.: reliable information.
Top questions with failsafe
- what is a failsafe?
- what is failsafe?
- what is failsafe mode?
- what does failsafe mean?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with fai
- Words starting with fail
- Words starting with fails
- Words starting with failsa
- Words starting with failsaf
- Words starting with failsafe
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,i
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,l
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,l,s
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,l,s,e