- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of failed word
- adjective failed unsuccessful; failed: a totally fail policy. 1
- adjective failed Slang. of or noting an embarrassing or humorous mistake, humiliating situation, etc.: the top 100 funniest fail photos on the Internet. embarrassingly incompetent, stupid, etc: Why am I so fail? very bad or of inferior quality. 1
- verb without object failed to fall short of success or achievement in something expected, attempted, desired, or approved: The experiment failed because of poor planning. 1
- verb without object failed to receive less than the passing grade or mark in an examination, class, or course of study: He failed in history. 1
- verb without object failed to be or become deficient or lacking; be insufficient or absent; fall short: Our supplies failed. 1
- verb without object failed to dwindle, pass, or die away: The flowers failed for lack of rain. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of failed
First appearance:before 1650
One of the 45% oldest English words
First recorded in 1650-60; fail + -ed2
Parts of speech for Failed
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 93% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
failed usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for failed
- unsuccessful — not achieving or not attended with success: an unsuccessful person; an unsuccessful venture.
- botched — bungled or mishandled
- disastrous — causing great distress or injury; ruinous; very unfortunate; calamitous: The rain and cold proved disastrous to his health.
- futile — incapable of producing any result; ineffective; useless; not successful: Attempting to force-feed the sick horse was futile.
- abortive — An abortive attempt or action is unsuccessful.
Antonyms for failed
- successful — achieving or having achieved success.
Top questions with failed
- when genius failed?
- successful people who failed school?
- what contributed to the failed mongol invasions of japan?
- conversion failed when converting the varchar value?
- why prohibition failed?
- failed drug test on probation what now?
- successful people who failed?
- i failed out of nursing school now what?
- what does authentication failed mean?
- when flanders failed?
- tell me about a time when you failed?
- famous people who have failed?
- famous people who failed?
- what does call failed mean?
- Words starting with f
- Words starting with fa
- Words starting with fai
- Words starting with fail
- Words starting with faile
- Words starting with failed
- Words containing the letters f
- Words containing the letters f,a
- Words containing the letters f,a,i
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,l
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,l,e
- Words containing the letters f,a,i,l,e,d
Was this page helpful?
Thank you for your feedback! Tell your friends about this page
Tell us why?