- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of denied word
- verb with object denied to withhold something from, or refuse to grant a request of: to deny a beggar. 2
- verb with object denied to refuse to agree or accede to: to deny a petition. 1
- verb with object denied to withhold the possession, use, or enjoyment of: to deny access to secret information. 1
- verb with object denied to refuse to recognize or acknowledge; disown; disavow; repudiate: to deny one's gods. 1
- verb with object denied to withhold (someone) from accessibility to a visitor: The secretary denied his employer to all those without appointments. 1
- verb with object denied Obsolete. to refuse to take or accept. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of denied
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; Middle English denien < Old French denier < Latin dēnegāre. See denegation
Parts of speech for Denied
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
denied usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for denied
- rejected — to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.: to reject the offer of a better job.
Antonyms for denied
- permitted — to allow to do something: Permit me to explain.
- gumptious — initiative; aggressiveness; resourcefulness: With his gumption he'll make a success of himself.
- crisped — (especially of food) hard but easily breakable; brittle: crisp toast.
- all over — All over a place means in every part of it.
- all in — If you say that you are all in, you mean that you are extremely tired.
Top questions with denied
- what does denied mean?
- who denied jesus 3 times?
- who denied jesus?
- what are denied powers?
- what percentage of request of writ of certiorari is denied?
- who denied jesus three times?
- what right was denied to women after the revolutionary war?
- what powers are denied to the states?
- what powers are denied to congress?
- fmla denied what now?
- what individual freedoms are denied in a totalitarian state?
- why are individual states denied the currency power?
- which disciple denied jesus?
- what powers are denied to congress to the states?
- which apostle denied jesus?
- Words starting with d
- Words starting with de
- Words starting with den
- Words starting with deni
- Words starting with denie
- Words starting with denied
- Words containing the letters d
- Words containing the letters d,e
- Words containing the letters d,e,n
- Words containing the letters d,e,n,i