- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of clash word
- verb clash When people clash, they fight, argue, or disagree with each other. 3
- verb clash Clash is also a noun. 3
- verb clash Beliefs, ideas, or qualities that clash with each other are very different from each other and therefore are opposed. 3
- verb clash If one event clashes with another, the two events happen at the same time so that you cannot attend both of them. 3
- verb clash If one colour or style clashes with another, the colours or styles look ugly together. You can also say that two colours or styles clash. 3
- reciprocal verb clash Sports journalists sometimes say that two individuals or teams who compete against each other clash, especially when a lot of feeling is involved. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of clash
First appearance:before 1490
One of the 26% oldest English words
1490-1500; blend of clap1 and dash1
Parts of speech for Clash
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 89% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
clash usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for clash
- rift — an opening made by splitting, cleaving, etc.; fissure; cleft; chink.
- crash — A crash is an accident in which a moving vehicle hits something and is damaged or destroyed.
- riot — a noisy, violent public disorder caused by a group or crowd of persons, as by a crowd protesting against another group, a government policy, etc., in the streets.
- melee — a group of diamonds, each weighing less than 0.25 carat.
- brawl — A brawl is a rough or violent fight.
- collide — If two or more moving people or objects collide, they crash into one another. If a moving person or object collides with a person or object that is not moving, they crash into them.
- jangle — to produce a harsh, discordant sound, as two comparatively small, thin, or hollow pieces of metal hitting together: The charms on her bracelet jangle as she moves.
- clank — When large metal objects clank, they make a noise because they are hitting together or hitting against something hard.
- clang — When a large metal object clangs, it makes a loud noise.
- grind — to wear, smooth, or sharpen by abrasion or friction; whet: to grind a lens.
Antonyms for clash
- calm — A calm person does not show or feel any worry, anger, or excitement.
- truce — a suspension of hostilities for a specified period of time by mutual agreement of the warring parties; cease-fire; armistice.
- compatibility — compatible
- agreement — An agreement is a formal decision about future action which is made by two or more countries, groups, or people.
- peace — the normal, nonwarring condition of a nation, group of nations, or the world.
- harmonize — to bring into harmony, accord, or agreement: to harmonize one's views with the new situation.
- agree — If people agree with each other about something, they have the same opinion about it or say that they have the same opinion.
- match — a person or thing that equals or resembles another in some respect.
- retreat — the forced or strategic withdrawal of an army or an armed force before an enemy, or the withdrawing of a naval force from action.
- give in — to present voluntarily and without expecting compensation; bestow: to give a birthday present to someone.
Top questions with clash
- how to hack clash of clans?
- how to get free gems in clash of clans?
- how to hack clash royale?
- how to get free gems on clash of clans?
- how to get unlimited gems in clash of clans?
- how to get gems in clash of clans?
- how to play clash of clans?
- how to play clash of clans on pc?
- how many people play clash of clans?
- how to get free gems on clash royale?
- when is the next clash of clans update?
- how to get gems in clash royale?
- how to get clash of clans on pc?
- how to play clash royale?
- when did clash of clans come out?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with cl
- Words starting with cla
- Words starting with clas
- Words starting with clash
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,l
- Words containing the letters c,l,a
- Words containing the letters c,l,a,s
- Words containing the letters c,l,a,s,h