- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of claim word
- verb claim If you say that someone claims that something is true, you mean they say that it is true but you are not sure whether or not they are telling the truth. 3
- countable noun claim A claim is something which someone says which they cannot prove and which may be false. 3
- verb claim If you say that someone claims responsibility or credit for something, you mean they say that they are responsible for it, but you are not sure whether or not they are telling the truth. 3
- verb claim If you claim something, you try to get it because you think you have a right to it. 3
- countable noun claim A claim is a demand for something that you think you have a right to. 3
- verb claim If someone claims a record, title, or prize, they gain or win it. 3
Information block about the term
Origin of claim
First appearance:before 1250
One of the 11% oldest English words
1250-1300; (v.) Middle English claimen < Anglo-French, Old French claimer < Latin clāmāre to cry out; (noun) Middle English < Anglo-French, Old French cla(i)me, noun derivative of the v.
Parts of speech for Claim
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 97% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
claim usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for claim
- case — A particular case is a particular situation or incident, especially one that you are using as an individual example or instance of something.
- requirement — that which is required; a thing demanded or obligatory: One of the requirements of the job is accuracy.
- interest — the feeling of a person whose attention, concern, or curiosity is particularly engaged by something: She has a great interest in the poetry of Donne.
- plea — an appeal or entreaty: a plea for mercy.
- suit — a set of clothing, armor, or the like, intended for wear together.
- hold — to have or keep in the hand; keep fast; grasp: She held the purse in her right hand. He held the child's hand in his.
- challenge — A challenge is something new and difficult which requires great effort and determination.
- defend — If you defend someone or something, you take action in order to protect them.
- insist — to be emphatic, firm, or resolute on some matter of desire, demand, intention, etc.: He insists on checking every shipment.
- call for — If you call for someone, you go to the building where they are, so that you can both go somewhere.
Antonyms for claim
- answer — When you answer someone who has asked you something, you say something back to them.
- reply — followup
- honesty — the quality or fact of being honest; uprightness and fairness.
- denial — A denial of something is a statement that it is not true, does not exist, or did not happen.
- truth — the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
- disbelieve — to have no belief in; refuse or reject belief in: to disbelieve reports of UFO sightings.
- forsake — to quit or leave entirely; abandon; desert: She has forsaken her country for an island in the South Pacific.
- desert — A desert is a large area of land, usually in a hot region, where there is almost no water, rain, trees, or plants.
- deny — When you deny something, you state that it is not true.
- reject — to refuse to have, take, recognize, etc.: to reject the offer of a better job.
Top questions with claim
- what is a claim?
- what is a quit claim deed?
- how many allowances should i claim?
- how many exemptions should i claim?
- what to claim on w4?
- what does claim mean?
- what should i claim on my w4?
- what is a quick claim deed?
- how many kids can you claim on taxes?
- what is claim?
- how many allowances to claim on w4?
- how many allowances to claim?
- where to claim powerball winnings?
- what should i claim on w4?
- what set you claim?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with cl
- Words starting with cla
- Words starting with clai
- Words starting with claim
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,l
- Words containing the letters c,l,a
- Words containing the letters c,l,a,i
- Words containing the letters c,l,a,i,m