- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- /ˈsɜr kyəˌleɪt/
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- /ˈsɜr kyəˌleɪt/
Definitions of circulatory word
- adjective circulatory Circulatory means relating to the circulation of blood in the body. 3
- verb without object circulatory to move in a circle or circuit; move or pass through a circuit back to the starting point: Blood circulates throughout the body. 1
- verb without object circulatory to pass from place to place, from person to person, etc.: She circulated among her guests. 1
- verb without object circulatory to be distributed or sold, especially over a wide area. 1
- verb without object circulatory Library Science. (of books and other materials) to be available for borrowing by patrons of a library for a specified period of time. 1
- verb with object circulatory to cause to pass from place to place, person to person, etc.; disseminate; distribute: to circulate a rumor. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of circulatory
First appearance:before 1425
One of the 25% oldest English words
1425-75 for earlier senses; 1665-75 for current senses; late Middle English < Latin circulātus (past participle of circulārī to gather round one, Medieval Latin circulāre to encircle), equivalent to circul(us) circle + -ātus -ate1
Parts of speech for Circulatory
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 75% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
circulatory usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for circulatory
- moving — capable of or having movement: a moving object.
- current — A current is a steady and continuous flowing movement of some of the water in a river, lake, or sea.
- fluid — a substance, as a liquid or gas, that is capable of flowing and that changes its shape at a steady rate when acted upon by a force tending to change its shape.
- rotating — to cause to turn around an axis or center point; revolve.
- circling — a closed plane curve consisting of all points at a given distance from a point within it called the center. Equation: x 2 + y 2 = r 2 .
- cardiovascular — of the heart and the blood vessels as a unified body system
- cardiac — Cardiac means relating to the heart.
- vascular — pertaining to, composed of, or provided with vessels or ducts that convey fluids, as blood, lymph, or sap.
- heart — Anatomy. a hollow, pumplike organ of blood circulation, composed mainly of rhythmically contractile smooth muscle, located in the chest between the lungs and slightly to the left and consisting of four chambers: a right atrium that receives blood returning from the body via the superior and inferior vena cavae, a right ventricle that pumps the blood through the pulmonary artery to the lungs for oxygenation, a left atrium that receives the oxygenated blood via the pulmonary veins and passes it through the mitral valve, and a left ventricle that pumps the oxygenated blood, via the aorta, throughout the body.
- blood — Blood is the red liquid that flows inside your body, which you can see if you cut yourself.
Antonyms for circulatory
Top questions with circulatory
- what is the circulatory system?
- what is the functions of the circulatory system?
- what is the function of the circulatory system?
- what does the circulatory system do?
- how does the circulatory system work?
- how does the circulatory and respiratory work together?
- how do the respiratory and circulatory work together?
- how does the circulatory system maintain homeostasis?
- what is the function of a circulatory system?
- what is the main function of the circulatory system?
- what is circulatory system?
- what is the purpose of the circulatory system?
- what is another name for the circulatory system?
- what does the heart do in the circulatory system?
- what is a closed circulatory system?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ci
- Words starting with cir
- Words starting with circ
- Words starting with circu
- Words starting with circul
- Words starting with circula
- Words starting with circulat
- Words starting with circulato
- Words starting with circulator
- Words starting with circulatory
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,i
- Words containing the letters c,i,r
- Words containing the letters c,i,r,u
- Words containing the letters c,i,r,u,l
- Words containing the letters c,i,r,u,l,a