- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
- UK Pronunciation
- UK IPA
- US Pronunciation
- US IPA
Definitions of chopped word
- adjective chopped diced, minced, or cut into small bits. 1
- adjective chopped (of an automobile) streamlined; lowered. 1
- verb with object chopped to cut or sever with a quick, heavy blow or a series of blows, using an ax, hatchet, etc. (often followed by down, off, etc.): to chop down a tree. 1
- verb with object chopped to make or prepare for use by so cutting: to chop logs. 1
- verb with object chopped to cut in pieces; mince (often followed by up): to chop up an onion; to chop meat. 1
- verb with object chopped (in tennis, cricket, etc.) to hit (a ball) with a chop stroke. 1
Information block about the term
Origin of chopped
First appearance:before 1540
One of the 30% oldest English words
First recorded in 1540-50
Parts of speech for Chopped
A common word. It’s meaning is known to most children of preschool age. About 96% of English native speakers know the meaning and use the word.
Most Europeans know this English word. The frequency of it’s usage is somewhere between "mom" and "screwdriver".
chopped usage trend in Literature
Synonyms for chopped
- hacked — to place (something) on a hack, as for drying or feeding.
- cuffed — a blow with the fist or the open hand; buffet.
- smashed — of, relating to, or constituting a great success: That composer has written many smash tunes.
- cut — If you cut something, you use a knife or a similar tool to divide it into pieces, or to mark it or damage it. If you cut a shape or a hole in something, you make the shape or hole by using a knife or similar tool.
- uppercut — a swinging blow directed upward, as to an adversary's chin.
- axed — an instrument with a bladed head on a handle or helve, used for hewing, cleaving, chopping, etc.
- lopped — to let hang or droop: He lopped his arms at his sides in utter exhaustion.
- hewed — to strike forcibly with an ax, sword, or other cutting instrument; chop; hack.
- severed — to separate (a part) from the whole, as by cutting or the like.
- split — to divide or separate from end to end or into layers: to split a log in two.
Antonyms for chopped
Top questions with chopped
- how to get on chopped?
- what am i chopped liver?
- how long to boil chopped potatoes?
- Words starting with c
- Words starting with ch
- Words starting with cho
- Words starting with chop
- Words starting with chopp
- Words starting with choppe
- Words starting with chopped
- Words containing the letters c
- Words containing the letters c,h
- Words containing the letters c,h,o
- Words containing the letters c,h,o,p
- Words containing the letters c,h,o,p,e
- Words containing the letters c,h,o,p,e,d